LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie needs advice about a diff problem :-)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:21 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs advice about a diff problem :-)

Hey everyone
I'm a newbie to this forum but have been impressed with the advice given to other users - I'm hoping you can help me out :-)

We took our 2007 D3 for a 172,000 km service with Ayers, Brookvale, NSW today and have been told that we need a new diff because the current one is noisy. They've quoted around $2k for parts and labour, this is in addition to replacing worn bearings, fixing faulty brake booster and replacing the alternator that is apparently boiling the battery acid!!

Is a new diff essential if it's noisy? What questions should I be asking to make sure a replacement is the only option?

Anyone know any cheaper but decent LR mechanics on the Northern Beaches?

Thanks guys

Rach

Old 04-02-2015, 05:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, noisy could mean you've got a day, or it could mean you've got another 100k miles. It's basically a roll of the dice with differentials, in general.

$2k strikes me as cheap to do - I'm assuming they're rebuilding it?

I've been looking to add a locker to mine and just parts alone for bearings and seals was frightful compared to what I've seen for other trucks.

So, with all that said, if you don't mind having it towed sometime when it does go, and risk the chance of destroying the casing, let it ride. If you want the peace of mind, let'em do it, $2k sounds pretty good to me.

Dave

Old 04-02-2015, 07:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I may be able to steer you in the right direction on the diff. If I understand you correctly. I can't help you on the shops. You could ask that dodgy group at AuLro about shops.

It sounds like you bought someone problems. I am sure after you get things debugged you should be in good shape.

Award Diff & Gearbox Services: Seven Hills Car Service and Mechanics ? StartLocal®

I would be curious about your battery issues, drop me a PM with your e-mail on any of these issues, happy to help where I can.

For the longest time, I used Interstate, I've switched to a Deka 9A94R AGM Intimidator I am happy with it so far.

Of course a bad alternator could fry the battery, but I suspect, you had a bad battery, the vehicle should have but did not detect that, and it just charged it to death. Typically if your battery is going bad, the voltage put to it will go higher and higher until it is fried.