LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not so sure

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not so sure

Hello guys
Hope the best for you.I own a 04 disco with 40000 miles on the odometer.Lately I been having the idea of changing it for an LR3,but have mixed feelings about it.I have found some good 05 examples but I would have to pay around 10 grand more in exchange for the LR3.I also found IMO that the interior materials on the LR3 are not as rugged as in the 04.I like the LR3 because it looks modern and classy.Would it be worth it?I know many of you come from Disco territory and can probably give me some good advice.Thank you in advance.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:49 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never owned any other Land Rovers, however, I have had many other brands of 4x4 (mainly Ford and Chevy). The Land Rover LR3 is the best I've owned. I should mention that I've also driven many other friend and family vehicles too (Hummer, Hummer 2, Dodge, etc) I think that the LR3 certainly is similar to the best of the ones I've been in. In most cases it is way better.

I've off-roaded in many too, and the LR3 is stronger in performance and in rattle/shake too.

I've towed 7000 lbs with the LR3 regularly using the standard hitch, and other than having issues with the 10 amp fuse for running lights (what were they thinking?) it is rock solid there too.

Inside, there are some things that bother me about the trim; however, when compared to other brands, it is still way better. The things that make me go "wow" far outnumber any concerns I have.

Things you might want to know about the LR3 (mine is a 2008, by the way)...

1) It is a battery hog. There are so many fancy systems in it that running without the engine is a bad idea for any real length of time. Even the radio goes into a "low power mode" with the engine off.

2) The tow hitch and recovery points are hidden behind little plastic trim pieces that make the truck look great and get slightly better fuel economy. Unfortunately, they are held in place with the most rediculously stupid little twisty things. They break fairly easily and the part that remains in the bumper can sometimes fall out when off road and bumping around. <sigh> The dealership's answer to this was, "ya, stupid connectors. Here are a bunch to keep you going for a while" They gave me a handful of the things (probably 20 of both sides of the connector). I've got about 18 left after 5 months.

3) Heated front, and rear windows are amazingly brilliant in the cold and snow... but you'd better hope you never need to replace any of them. If you do, make sure you have insurance with a low deductible.

4) Height is normally fine, however, in order to give the stadium seating AND still provide a brilliant amount of headroom, the roof is taller than most standard SUVs. There are little bits that stick up above the roof too. I've experienced a few underground parkades that required me to lower the suspension into "access" mode. If I'd had any of the fancy roof stuff installed (better rack, offroad lights, etc) then I'd have had big issues. My solution? Install the fancy roof stuff, and don't park in underground parkades.

Would I buy another LR3... absolutely without doubt and in a heartbeat. Best darn truck I've ever owned.

It does leave me with one ongoing issue...

Do I drive the VW Eos convertible or the LR3... Even on beautiful sunny warm days, it is still hard to decide... (unless I want to go off roading... then it becomes easier)

Good luck with your selection!

Old 03-06-2010, 01:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by EL GALLO
Hello guys
Hope the best for you.I own a 04 disco with 40000 miles on the odometer.Lately I been having the idea of changing it for an LR3,but have mixed feelings about it.I have found some good 05 examples but I would have to pay around 10 grand more in exchange for the LR3.I also found IMO that the interior materials on the LR3 are not as rugged as in the 04.I like the LR3 because it looks modern and classy.Would it be worth it?I know many of you come from Disco territory and can probably give me some good advice.Thank you in advance.
Just went through the same decision process and ended up with a 2007 LR3 after owning a 2004 Discovery for 3 years. I enjoyed the Discovery but the head toss factor was pretty high on the rocky mountain passes and I started developing paranoia about the possibility of cylinder head gaskets, cooling system problems and the specter of oil pump failures starting to show up in the '04 models.

Mine had been flawless...never a problem but I convinced myself that I probably should at least test drive an LR3. I was hooked. The Jaguar V8 is a sweetheart and the whole truck is buttery smooth on the road. Rides like a BMW 740i and the stereo, seats and overall ergonomics are exceptional. Very happy I made the move but noticed today that the dealer who bought my 2004 in trade for $9600 has it on the lot for $15,900. Hope they make a few bucks...I was happy with the deal on the '07

Dave