LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Occasional increasing thumping while at cruise

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2023, 04:16 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Occasional increasing thumping while at cruise

On 4-5 occasions over the past 10 months I have encountered an odd thumping/vibration. I'll be cruising at a steady speed 50-60mph and will first notice a subtle rhythmic thump thump thump starting. As I maintain speed it become more pronounced and starts to be felt through the entire vehicle, it becomes quite aggressive if I were to continue, engine revs stay consistent.

On a couple occasions I slowed down to 15-20mph and it went away, speeding back up it did not return. The first time it happened I had a canoe on the roof and thought that it was buffeting in the wind or I had a flat but straps were tight when I checked and no movement from it.

Another occasion I was returning with an empty trailer after hauling a heavy load of wood and on the last time nothing on the roof or in tow. That time It occurred twice in sequence, first time I pulled over and stopped, thumping had ceased by the time I got over, pulled out and took a few minutes to return, pulled over again and did not return while finishing the last 8 minutes of the drive to final destination though was on slower speed roads at that point. The return trip home on the same route had no issues. (received an oil spray undercoating before the drive back)

EPB is rarely used but I can say that I had used it on the trailer towing drive and had also used it a few times the night prior to the last occasion. Uncertain on the others. EPB seems to set and release with no issues. Do notice left rear rotor isn't as shiny after a drive as the others around the outer edge. May be speculating at brake involvement, was recording wheel speed sensor live values on the drive home the last time to see if there was any change to speed from brake/EPB involvement but issue did not come back to show me anything.

Anyone experience anything similar?

Old 05-13-2023, 12:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

If you suspect EPB that is easy enough to check by feeling the rotors after some driving. They should not be super hot. If one is hotter than the other, then it could be a shoe catching and rubbing or some other brake issue. Generally thumping will, however, be the rear driveshaft. Get under and inspect mounting hardware at each end. Remove heat shield and move the shaft up and down. It should move, but not be loose enough to flop around. If it does, the rubber center support is shot and that could explain the issue - especially if the thumping goes away when coasting at speed. You may also want to check for uneven tire wear. If you have suspension bushings in rough shape and a bad alignment, you could be getting some odd tracking issue that is shifting the arms because the bushings are shot as one tire try to track at a different angle to the other three.

Old 05-13-2023, 02:16 PM
Drifting

I'll get the rear driveshaft looked at and see if a rotor hub is hot. I'm away from the vehicle for a while but it does have a shop appointment next week.

Just recently had the suspension looked over due to an over active DSC issue. Rear upper arms were replaced due to worn out bushings, others appeared to be in good order. I've ruled out tires as at the same time I swapped those out. This issue has occurred on the old and new set. Fresh alignment completed after the arm change so suspect that is good too.

Old 05-16-2023, 11:24 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Does it feel like it is coming from the front or rear of the vehicle. Other than the items that Dakota mentioned, I would also take a look at the wheel bearings and make sure the wheel bearings do not have a play in them.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:00 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LR3Donkey
Does it feel like it is coming from the front or rear of the vehicle. Other than the items that Dakota mentioned, I would also take a look at the wheel bearings and make sure the wheel bearings do not have a play in them.
I would say it is coming from behind me.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I'd check the rear driveshaft support bearing. Mine is loose at the moment and I believe it is responsible for some of our driveline vibrations. It only occurs when the gas is pressed and at certain RPM's and speed.

Old 05-23-2023, 11:27 AM
Drifting

Left rear parking brake was the culprit.

Rarely use the EPB but the other day before going to service, applied the EPB a couple times as a test and went on the highway. Issue occurred twice, would go away when dropping the speed down. At destination the center of the left rear wheel was too hot to keep a hand on. Hour or so later drove home with no issue. Garaged checked it out and said there wasn't much left of the parking brake on the left corner so parts on order.

Old 06-09-2023, 05:48 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumper

I was going to say that change sunroof , window positions. My back windows are always open a couple inches to halfway down. Heard this loud thumping and thought my driveshaft was failing but as i slowed to pull over at the next turnout the thumping went away. Didn't see anything overt but girlfriend got too hot sitting in the car while I was carrying out my rather lame investigation and opened sunroof once we were back underway and the drumming sound disappeared. Who knew?

Old 06-10-2023, 09:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

That is common in any vehicle. If rear windows are down, you have to crack a front one.