LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak at oil cooler (radiator)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil leak at oil cooler (radiator)

Yesterday, I noticed a few drops of oil under the front bumper, drivers side. I removed the lower left side cover and can see that the leak is coming from the radiator where the oil line is attached to.

Is this a common issue and has the dealer corrected this for you? I would like to hear back from folks before I make an appointment. I am just curious if it is the hose or a seal (and of course cost).

Thanks!

Old 12-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like you may just have a bad o-ring. The O-ring is 3/8" and can be found at Lowe's in the plumbing section.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default V8 or V6 engine, both similar.

I assume the leaking oil is transmission oil as I assume the cooler referred to is the transmission cooler that is built into the engine cooling radiator.

The upper pipe is the return oil back to the tranny; the lower pipe, the hot oil in from the tranny. Both of these pipes feed into the left hand end tank of the engine cooling radiator. (The same end as the lower big engine coolant hose is attached to.)

The good news for me is that I know nothing of this problem; also I have not heard of others complaining either. It therefore does not sound like a common problem but that is not much help to you. It may be that just tightening the hose clamps will resolve the concern.

A bigger concern is when was the tranny oil changed? Regardless of what LR or ZF sort of infers, the tranny oil should be changed prior to 100,000 miles. To LR, life means until the end of the 4 year warranty period, not your life or the life of the engine.

The link below contains some files related to your ZF 6HP26X tranny.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - ZF 6HP26 Automatic Transmission in LR3

Old 12-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by honda50r
Seems like you may just have a bad o-ring. The O-ring is 3/8" and can be found at Lowe's in the plumbing section.
got that....still trying to download the manual...uggg

Originally Posted by bbyer
I assume the leaking oil is transmission oil as I assume the cooler referred to is the transmission cooler that is built into the engine cooling radiator.

The upper pipe is the return oil back to the tranny; the lower pipe, the hot oil in from the tranny. Both of these pipes feed into the left hand end tank of the engine cooling radiator. (The same end as the lower big engine coolant hose is attached to.)

The good news for me is that I know nothing of this problem; also I have not heard of others complaining either. It therefore does not sound like a common problem but that is not much help to you. It may be that just tightening the hose clamps will resolve the concern.

A bigger concern is when was the tranny oil changed? Regardless of what LR or ZF sort of infers, the tranny oil should be changed prior to 100,000 miles. To LR, life means until the end of the 4 year warranty period, not your life or the life of the engine.

The link below contains some files related to your ZF 6HP26X tranny.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - ZF 6HP26 Automatic Transmission in LR3
I only have 60k on the thing. I am getting ready to call the local dealer and speak to the service manager. I am getting a list together and reading though my extended warranty documents.

I want to get all the issues done all at once. The unfortunate thing is that the dealer near me is new. I am not sure how well the service their vehicles....we will find out.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh ****, my fault wheelgarage. Thought we were talking about your D1. My mistake

Old 12-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Usually its just a loose hose. You could try to just tighten the clamp, or
cut the hose back just past the clamp and refit it with a new clamp.
Also you'll see (under the radiator on the l/s corner) a piece of foam.
This will be soaked with trans fluid. You'll need to remove it and degrease that area. If you don't it will appear that is still leaking for quite some time.
I do not believe hoses and pipes are covered by any extended warranty companies

Old 12-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by honda50r
Oh ****, my fault wheelgarage. Thought we were talking about your D1. My mistake
Ahh.....yeah...easy mistake.

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg
Usually its just a loose hose. You could try to just tighten the clamp, or
cut the hose back just past the clamp and refit it with a new clamp.
Also you'll see (under the radiator on the l/s corner) a piece of foam.
This will be soaked with trans fluid. You'll need to remove it and degrease that area. If you don't it will appear that is still leaking for quite some time.
I do not believe hoses and pipes are covered by any extended warranty companies
I forgot to mention that I did tighten the clamp. Not it doesn't leak anymore. I didn't see the foam, which I probably need to source also. I just need to make sure there is enough lube in the tranny.

I believe my front sway bar bushing and links are going, maybe the front control arms. I also found out that I am missing the skid plates....uggg...in search of parts....