LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil question 4.4

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:09 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil question 4.4

I am looking to do an oil change on my LR3. I have the 4.4L. What oil do you guys run? I work at a dealership and got an insane deal on Rotella T6, Ive ran that in a lot of my vechiles with no issues. Not sure about this rover though.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default am a Shell fan but ....

I regard myself as a Shell Oil fan, but for petrol, Exxon.

Regarding oil for the 4.4L AJ V8 engine in our 3's, I stick with Castrol Syntec SAE 5W-40 full synthetic however. With engine oil, I do believe there are differences between oils even though they all meet some common API or ILSAC spec; petrol, I do not think it actually matters too much as long as there is not much water or dirt within, but with oil, I think the minor differences can matter.

In the case of the Syntec, it is an older oil that meets ILSAC GF-3 that apparently our AJ-V8 engine wants to see. What I am saying is that oil exceeding GF-3, such as the Castrol Edge, I tend to stay away from.

Incidentally, this is why Castrol has kept the Syntec around even though the Edge was supposed to replace it- well maybe it is getting replaced, but there was a delay of a few years for no specified reason.

I guess is the Shell oil you would use is a GF-3, then it is probably worth the gamble. Basically I would spend some time reading reading the very fine print on the oil container labels and comparing them, one against the other. The reason I refer to the GF specs is that is a Euro spec and the AJ-V8 is a Euro designed engine, not USA designed. In the case of USA designed engines, then I would regard the API specs as the most significant.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't think the jag v8 benefits from the diesel oil as much as the rover v8. You'll probably get the best fuel economy if you stick with the recommended 5w30.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Default 5w-40?

Originally Posted by jafir
I don't think the jag V8 benefits from the diesel oil as much as the rover V8. You'll probably get the best fuel economy if you stick with the recommended 5w30.
By the diesel oil, I expect you mean the 40 number rather than the 5W? I do not have a good answer regarding that as I know for the first few years, my LR dealer used 5W30 and now I see it is 5W40 going in.

It may be an availability thing up here; I am just not certain, as I doubt it is our mid summer high seventies temperatures for a couple of hours in the afternoon for maybe two weeks or so.

We still have lots of snow on the ground these days and will have for the next month or so, hence I do wonder.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bbyer
By the diesel oil, I expect you mean the 40 number rather than the 5W? I do not have a good answer regarding that as I know for the first few years, my LR dealer used 5W30 and now I see it is 5W40 going in.

It may be an availability thing up here; I am just not certain, as I doubt it is our mid summer high seventies temperatures for a couple of hours in the afternoon for maybe two weeks or so.

We still have lots of snow on the ground these days and will have for the next month or so, hence I do wonder.
I just meant the Rotella, which is usually a heavier weight that 5w30.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:09 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by jafir
I don't think the jag v8 benefits from the diesel oil as much as the rover v8. You'll probably get the best fuel economy if you stick with the recommended 5w30.
Originally Posted by bbyer

Rotella T6 is not "Diesel Oil". It is just good old Synthetic 5w-40 designed with heavy duty applications in mind. This oil is great in Turbo applications and any higher heat engine. Also I believe it to be awesome for the LR just for the simple fact of how damn heavy our trucks are.

Ignore the lines from people about it being a Diesel oil. That's from the uneducated and miss informed.

Also go search Bobistheoilguy.com for all kinds of virgin and used oil samples from all kinds of different engine applications. I will be making the switch at next oil change.(Just got my LR3)

PS its cheaper so what could be better.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Good to know it is that clear now.

I am pleased to hear that the choice of oil for what are now our older engines is so clear.

I first got interested in this oil thing as a result of VW extending the engine warranty on my wife's 2005 1.8T 4Motion Passat a few years back.

VW had speced the wrong oil for their engines and some sort of problem was occurring with some, (not all), of the 1.8T engines. I do not know if it was turbo charger related or what I would call engine related. It was all a big secret, don't ask, just be happy you have a ten year warranty on the engine instead of five - something like that anyway.

It then turned out that the Castrol Syntec 5W-30 that VW was now specing was the same oil as for my LR3, hence the interest and the discovery of this ILSAC spec; all I knew about previously was API.

Anyway, it is great to hear that all that those concerns are in the past and newer and cheaper is better.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:43 PM
4wd Low

good to know about t6, i was misinformed thinking it was for deisels, price is nice at around 22 for a gallon. can it be used year round even though i dont tow or haul much with it?

Old 04-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

$22 per gallon, but most other jugs of name brand synthetic oil are about $26 for 5 quarts.

I'm not knocking the diesel oils. I used them in my discos. I just don't see the point in paying extra when the oe specified oil is cheaper, and works fine in the jag 4.4L engine.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:06 AM
4wd High

I got 2 gallons and a premium filter for 50.00 out the door I'm happy