LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P2096 Lean on Bank 1

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 06:10 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P2096

Replacing exhaust manifold gasket was my next step. Now I see that it didn’t help your code I’ll hold up on that. This code is biggest pain in the A I’ve ever had on any car I’ve ever owned. I’ve been having this P2096 fo almost a year now. I tried new maf and replaced all O2 sensors. Didn’t work for me.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:17 PM
Drifting

I did work on my coolant bleeder hose that goes under intake manifold. I replaced intake manifold gaskets and put everything back together. Have not had any codes for about 2 months and then p2096 after a long road trip. I’m still thinking maybe I didn’t place intake manifold gasket correctly and there is an air leak? Have you done any similar work on yours?

The following users liked this post:
AtlantaViking (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 01:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Fnally, someone else dealing with this crazy code! Thanks for chiming in vetalbig! I've never had the intake manifold off. I took off the throttle body over the summer to clean it up so basically everything up to the intake manifold come off. I did smoke the top end when the code started to show up, that's where I found the cracks in the airbox silencer, but never saw any other smoke come from anywhere else. Now you are making me wonder if there just isn't enough pressure in there to find the 'other' leak - so maybe it really is another leak and I just need to get in there and tear it all down again.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:48 PM
Drifting

My buddy has 2007 lr3 and he is willing to swap some parts with me to help me troubleshoot this code. MAF sensor that I tried was from Autozone so I think it might be worth trying this out with his stock one. Also I’m thinking about swapping catalytic converter just to rule this out. I’m going to be able to do all this around thanksgiving, so I’ll post on my progress. What else you think might be there worth trying?

Old 11-06-2018, 06:10 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

If you can swap motors that will at least rule out the entire assembly...

JK, couldn't help myself

I would bite the bullet and do valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, FI seals, basically everything from heads up.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by abran
If you can swap motors that will at least rule out the entire assembly...

JK, couldn't help myself

I would bite the bullet and do valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, FI seals, basically everything from heads up.
Haha right!
Well smoke machine didn’t reveal any leaks at valve covers or intake, no oil leaks either. I was thinking catalytic converter because I do occasionally get P0420 code but very rarely, it goes away on its own. There are posts on P2096 where people mention O2 spacers causing this code but once again In my case I don’t have spacers installed. It does make sense to troubleshoot valve cover gaskets etc. but won’t smoke machine show those leaks if there were any?
thanks for your input btw, any information is helpful at this point.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:59 PM
Baja

Depends on the smoke machine, I guess.

I have the smoke pro, and it works well.
My thoughts are you are about to start swapping parts, MAF I can see as easy, but after that I would just go big.

I recently did a HG on a 4.4. Before this job I had borrowed my friends timing tools, but we have a rule, borrow twice, 3rd time order your own.

I ordered a bargain set as I didn’t see myself doing too many.

Afterwards, it ran fine but would get occasional random misfires. It could go for 1k miles with no CEL, then it would pop.

I changed everything, including cats.

Finally bit the bullet, pulled the head and noticed my timing tools are a few mm short of contact with the cams.

Should have pulled the head months ago and 40 hours of nonsense ago.

So, my thoughts are tear in and either fix it or eliminate that possibility.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:14 PM
Baja

Double post, erased

Old 11-07-2018, 10:41 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by abran
Depends on the smoke machine, I guess.

I have the smoke pro, and it works well.
My thoughts are you are about to start swapping parts, MAF I can see as easy, but after that I would just go big.

I recently did a HG on a 4.4. Before this job I had borrowed my friends timing tools, but we have a rule, borrow twice, 3rd time order your own.

I ordered a bargain set as I didn’t see myself doing too many.

Afterwards, it ran fine but would get occasional random misfires. It could go for 1k miles with no CEL, then it would pop.

I changed everything, including cats.

Finally bit the bullet, pulled the head and noticed my timing tools are a few mm short of contact with the cams.

Should have pulled the head months ago and 40 hours of nonsense ago.

So, my thoughts are tear in and either fix it or eliminate that possibility.
It does sound like a solid plan, can’t hurt anything really. AtlantaViking what’s your thought? Any other codes besides P2096 on your rig?

Old 11-09-2018, 04:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I

Originally Posted by vetalbig

It does sound like a solid plan, can’t hurt anything really. AtlantaViking what’s your thought? Any other codes besides P2096 on your rig?
Nope. Just that one. I've been going through everything in my mind that has been done to the truck over the past six months and I did also replace the plastic thermostat housing (entire unit actually) and I did have to remove the throttle body from the plastic intake manifold. So last night, I broke in and started taking off the throttle body. Now I remember what a PITA accessing those 4bolts was. But I did get it off and checked to make sure that the silicone o-ring was still in place and it was. I'm going to see if I can get a new one and also the steel gasket between the pieces of the throttle body. I didn't replace either of them last time. I honestly would have thought the smoke test would have found a leak in either of those areas but I just don't know.

Quick Reply: P2096 Lean on Bank 1