LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P2096 Lean on Bank 1

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 07:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vetalbig

I did suspect pcv too, replaced with new unit but still heard a little hissing coming from it, what I did next was i took pcv out and plugged it off nicely with wine cork and ran truck for 2 min until code returned. I have icarsoft code reader ordered so I will be able to monitor fuel trims and o2 voltage closely now. Hopefully I can see something of order there that might point me to right direction
Interesting about the PCV. I've pulled mine as well but I haven't replaced it. The thing that makes me scratch my head about the PCV is that it doesn't seem to act like a traditional PCV. When I remove it air will seem to move in either direction with no restriction. I've never understood how the LR3 PCV functions. I thought about replacing it but are there really any moving parts in it at all that could fail? It almost seems like a glorified oil separator.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:16 AM
Three Wheeling

I've also been thinking about the EGR valve. Specifically, anything that I touched when I had to take the throttle body off to replace the thermostat housing is suspect in my mind. Since the EGR had to be unbolted from the throttle body, I'm wondering if an air leak could have been introduced there - perhaps the exhaust line in cracked or something similar as it got jostled around. I may create a block off plate where the EGR bolts in to temporarily block any flow from it just to eliminate anything from that stream...just more thoughts...

Old 11-22-2018, 03:27 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m also thinking about EGR valve, but I think there would be more cases of P2096 if EGR valve was to cause this code, but I might be wrong. Anyways my icarsoft reader comes in tomorrow so I will pull all the fuel trim and O2 readings and will compare it to my friends LR3 to see what stands out. We will get to the bottom of this. As I said if I can’t I will give dealership a shot but that would be my last resort before I drive it off the cliff.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:14 AM
Drifting
Default Update

we have swapped air intake (filter box, maf, hose after maf) and butterfly throttle body assembly) pcv valve. Code reappeared.
My short fuel trim readings for BANK1 are normal except at higher RPM’s at 1500 rpms they are at about 10-13% and that is double of what I’m seeing on bank 2. If I’m not mistaking that points at either vacuum leak or exhaust leak. At this point it has to be something on bank 1 (exhaust manifold gasket, intake manifold gasket, cat)

Old 11-24-2018, 11:04 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Valve cover gasket can cause lean code.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by abran
Valve cover gasket can cause lean code.
Would that send excessive air into throttle body causing unmetered air set lean code? (I think that because pcv valve connects to throttle?) we disconnected pcv valve plastic hose from throttle body and plugged it off trying to eliminate any air from valve cover. Code still returned. Or is there any other way for air to get into vacuum system from valve cover?
Thank you

Old 11-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Drifting

It’s a curse basically with such a lack of info on this code, I’m dreading taking my car into a shop as I’ve always been able to solve every trouble code I had. I just don’t believe that there has not been a single case where someone had this code pop up and it’s been solved!

Old 11-24-2018, 02:10 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Would that send excessive air into throttle body causing unmetered air set lean code? (I think that because pcv valve connects to throttle?) we disconnected pcv valve plastic hose from throttle body and plugged it off trying to eliminate any air from valve cover. Code still returned. Or is there any other way for air to get into vacuum system from valve cover?
Thank you
valve cover gasket can cause a lean code. Opposite side oil stand pipe o ring is a known spot to cause lean codes.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:03 PM
Drifting

AtlantaViking
by any chance have you had resonator deleted on your exhaust?

Old 11-27-2018, 01:08 PM
Three Wheeling

AtlantaViking
by any chance have you had resonator deleted on your exhaust?
Negative. My exhaust is factory from the block headers all the way on back. Nothing removed or modified.

I wonder about abran's point about the valve cover gasket. I see some oil weep staining on my valve cover so it is leaking a bit...it's a cheap fix and should be done so I'll go ahead and get a set and put them on and see what happens...

Thanks for the work vetalbig. I was really hoping something would have turned up with the swapped parts and I really agree...this code is so vague and why it's the rear sensor is what boggles the mind. Frustrating as hell.

Quick Reply: P2096 Lean on Bank 1