LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pcv hose blew off with white smoke? egr valve bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 09:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
Default pcv hose blew off with white smoke? egr valve bad?

Need some help from you all again.... Yesterday I was starting my 2008 LR3 with about 160k miles. It had a delayed start, cranking for 10 seconds (which it has been doing intermittently maybe 1 out of every 25 starts for a few months) before it caught. Right away I heard a pop, shut it down and then some white smoke came from the engine bay. I looked and apparently the middle section of the pcv hose has been replaced with a flexible radiator type hose at some point that is attached to the original pcv hose ends. It had popped off one end and that's where the white exhaust-smelling smoke was coming from.
I replaced the pcv valve with a new genuine one a couple months ago as I had some lean codes I was troubleshooting. My lean codes did go away, but do you guys think the new one could be bad, or maybe the EGR valve is sticking open sometimes?
Started again a few minutes later and I could tell the pcv hose was now under vacuum as it was deforming some. New genuine hose is on the way, but I need some ideas about why there would be so much pressure in there at start. There weren't any engine codes set. Thanks!