LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential New Owner With a Few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:30 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential New Owner With a Few Q's

So for some reason I think I need a Land Rover. I am in need of a versatile, safe, 4 wheel drive vehicle with a 3rd row. I live in the mountains of West Virginia and commute into Northern Virginia. We get plenty of snow and ice and the roads are mostly paved. I would like to go camping and do light off roading. I am looking at the LR3 mostly because its in my price range. I can get a used 2005 with about 45,000 miles for around $21,000

The only negatives I have heard about Land Rovers is that they dont really hold up mechanical department real well. I am a decent wrencg but I dont want a vehicle I need to constantly work on or one thats going to cost me a lot of money to keep up. What do you guys think.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Potential New Owner With a Few Q's

They can have their quirks. but it is not going to leave you stranded. repairs can be EXPENSIVE I would rec an ext warr. If somthing big dose happen it wil more than pay for itself
I rec. the winter pkg. the heated winshield is the bomb. some say get the 18" rims there are more tire choices but you can get the 19" in the mtr now so id say no big deal. the nav would be nice. You can NOT put an aftermarket radio in the LR3 with out it costing a ton of money. I was QUITE upset over that. I wanted to drop in the pioneer double din with nav was my plan since I got one w/o nav. but no deal breaker the garmin works fine. We bought the LR3 for the same reasons you mentioned and LOVE it more everytime i get in.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Winching

BY THE WAY I LIVE ABOUT 3HRS AWAY FROM THE NEAREST DEALER. No traffic 75mph to get there. On the hwy we get 18-21mpg city=small town abour 14-17mpg

Old 01-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The LR3 is still a fairly new vehicle. They have not "aged" enough to say for sure what kind of problems they may have in the future. Current owners have found a few "quirks" as drzjoint puts it, but nothing major has shown up yet. The 05s are known to have had most of the early problems atributed to the LR3 but have been fixed by warranty by now. The 06s and up were a lot cleaner and trouble free out the door. At the end of the day, even with the few quirks I've had with mine, I don't see myself driving anything else. You will not find a more spacious 3rd row seat for a vehicle in its class and size or a more capable, well rounded vehicle. Period!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Winching

stig chect the top gear review on the disco3.
I figure you are a fan?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:19 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, they actually have an 06 for a little more so maybe I will check that out. I wil also check the top gear review. I certainly am a fan.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Stig-
Owner for 6 days now of a CPO 06 HSE. I love this truck more than any vehicle I have owned in quite a while. Dont know if there is any one thing I can point to; it all just works great together.

I went out to do some mild offroading on Sunday with the kids (2 and 6). Kept myself on some dirt roads and the like. Even with street biased tires, I can tell this thing is going to be a beast offroad. I cant wait to go visit friends in Northwest Arkansas in a couple of weeks and do some proper wheeling.

If you can dfind one, the HSE with the rear audio controls and other standard features over the SE is the way to go. I also have the refrigerated console box; but dont drink soda and a long neck is too tall. Guess I will have to go with those Heineken 12 ounce "keg cans" :-)

Hope my unsolicited comments help you make up your mind.