LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potentially moving to Maui, opinions on bringing the LR3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 03:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Having spent a lot of time driving around Maui and living in Kihei, I would look at a smaller pickup truck unless you absolutely need something larger. The tiny roads out of the major tourist areas are not conducive to things like large European/North American vehicles, Suzuki (or similar) sized machines are decent and reliable work horse alternatives, with easily sourced local parts... Just my $0.25...

Old 01-01-2020, 04:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Wife agreed to at least drive it on Sundays. It's enough miles between home and church that it should keep the battery happy while away.
Have we found the original advert "only driven on Sundays"

Old 01-03-2020, 02:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by enb54
Having spent a lot of time driving around Maui and living in Kihei, I would look at a smaller pickup truck unless you absolutely need something larger. The tiny roads out of the major tourist areas are not conducive to things like large European/North American vehicles, Suzuki (or similar) sized machines are decent and reliable work horse alternatives, with easily sourced local parts... Just my $0.25...
Appreciate your thoughts. Having spent the last 33 years on and off in Maui, pretty much anything smaller than a crew cab is easy to manage. Something small like a Suzuki is a no go. Too many supply house runs with material large enough and heavy enough that even a 1/2 ton pickup is sometimes too small. So primary will be whatever pickup (definitely full size with at minimum a 6.5' bed) I purchase or lease, and the LR3 will be used for non work related functions.

Last edited by COSPILOT; 01-03-2020 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Well the good news is the Rover checked out perfectly at the dealership, but I ended up deciding to leave it in Colorado and purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. The price was right, and dealing with my local dealership in Colorado Springs was much easier and worth the expense of shipping the truck to Maui.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:47 AM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Likely moving to Maui very soon, but still commuting back to Colorado very often as my wife and kids will stay here, with them coming over to Maui often as well.

It's easy for me to work on the LR3 here, as I have a very large 4 car garage, and worst case my local dealership is only 20 minutes away. In Maui, the dealership is on Oahu, which isn't the end of the world to put it on a ferry ride to Oahu, but obviously a pain. I'm inclined to leave it here in Colorado and simply buy/lease something with a local dealership, which means Ford/Chevy/Toyota/Dodge for what I need.

However, the LR3 is paid for, and the goal is for me to make an incredible amount of money above and beyond the high expense of living in Maui. It's sort of been a second home for me since the late 80's, so I'm very familiar of the differences. I'm just curious of any members that happen to live on an island other than Oahu and how they handle things? I see plenty of not just LR3's, but many new Land Rover's on Maui, so I can't be alone in trying to figure this out.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome.
maui used to be cheap ... if you have been there since the 80s bought any real estate you are doing great.. if your a renter.. your ****ed.

Old 01-11-2020, 11:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Well the good news is the Rover checked out perfectly at the dealership, but I ended up deciding to leave it in Colorado and purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. The price was right, and dealing with my local dealership in Colorado Springs was much easier and worth the expense of shipping the truck to Maui.
Sounds like a good choice given your requirements, I didn't initially appreciate that you had such heavy loads to haul around. Good luck and have fun!