LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2023 | 04:44 PM
|
Winching
Default Power Steering issue

2006 North American LR3
4.4 SE

I've got an issue with the power steering.

The steering issue does not seem to rotate as easily. This was first noticed a couple of weeks ago when the outside temperatures dropped for multiple days.

I've jacked up the front 2 wheels while pulling the fuse for the suspension system so it does not try to compensate and the wheels stay off the ground. Every 1/2 rotation it seems to be a little stiff and not rotate as easily.

No apparent leaks.

I changed the power steering fluid about 9 months ago with no issues until now.

Any thoughts on is it most likely the power steering pump or steering rack.

Thanks,

Old 01-10-2023 | 06:25 PM
Camel Trophy

Lower steering shaft. Go with OEM only if you replace. I did mine when I first got the truck and replacement is not difficult, especially if you work from the driver side wheel well (remove the liner and wheel helps a ton). The hard part is actually the upper bolt which can be tricky to tighten AND keep the shaft slide up into place. If clean, tape may help. And make sure once it is out the steering wheel does not rotate at all. Even so you may notice after the steering is off a touch.

The alternative is to do as above but lubricate the shaft heavily. Basically clean out the bearing by very, very carefully pulling up the seals (dental pick works well). Then blast em out, clean them all up. Once done you need to lubricate them. I used gear oil and again lifted those small seals enough to get the oil in there. That process pretty much restored one shaft and got another into working order. With that said, the shaft I restored still causes a clunk in the steering over bumps that I can feel but at least there is no tightness.

The shaft I has installed years ago was OEM. I think my issue was the numerous river crossings I do without ever lubricating it for protection.... I wish there was some sorta rubber boot over that joint.

Old 01-10-2023 | 08:23 PM
|
Winching

Thanks for the info

Old 01-10-2023 | 09:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Before going down the replacement path, try some lube to see if that gets it happy again.

When mine started doing this, I sprayed the hell out of that section of the steering shaft with lithium grease. You can get it from the engine bay near the cowl on the driver's side. I didn't mess with any of the seals on mine

Old 01-11-2023 | 07:15 AM
|
Winching

Thanks, after looking up the price of the OEM lower shaft I'm going for the re-lube and see if that works.

Old 01-11-2023 | 06:04 PM
Camel Trophy

I will never understand why people think the OEM shaft is expensive. $200 shipped for something that literally connects one to the road does not seem like much. Cause if it fails outright, one has no control of the vehicle.