LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming a Used ECM????

Old 10-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Programming a Used ECM????

Hello Everyone!

I recently bought a used LR3 from Copart. It was in good order but has a blown ECM / ECU. I took it out and sent it to the folks at goecm.com, good guys by the way and they told me the chip was gone. They returned it to me for free!. I bought one on ebay and it seems to be in good order. Basically the codes are gone and I cant now read it with my code reader but of course the interlock is now engaged and the truck will not turn over. Before, with the old ECM it would crank, no spark or start. I have the LR3 at an independent dealer in Santa Fe using an Auto Logic, he can't program the damn thing. I called the LR dealer in town and he thinks he "might" be able to but he is not sure if it will accept a new code as he has never done a used one before. New one from the local dealer is $1,700, I have found some online for $1,300. Are there any any folks out there that have programmed a used ECM or have had this done on to their trucks? I really don't want to tow this from a shop to a dealer if they also cant do it.

Please Help!

Sincerely,

Ovide

Old 10-05-2013, 04:11 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dude, ecms on ebay are con games. You can't reprogram them at all. Why not put the old one back in and have it properly diagnosed. Are you sure its the ecm. Its rare for them to go.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Overlanding
Default Pretty Sure its the ECM

I had a bunch of faults on the screen. No OBD II reader could interface with it and the guys at go ecm worked on it for a week before telling me the ECM main cpu chip was gone. I replaced the crank position sensor just in case. The guys at the independent rover shop used the auto logic on it and they also confirmed it was the original ecu as well.

I found these guys Specialized ECU Repair, Replacement, & Testing - Restore or Exchange your Electronic Control Unit (ECU) they can reset the ecm on BMW's to the new vin # and the interlock but they don't do rovers . BMW's are probably the toughest to work on. They plan on adding Rovers but I have no idea when.

Are you certain they cant be re-flashed or just saying? The LR dealer is willing to give it a try. Even Roverlandparts.com sells used ECM's so I can't imagine none of them ever work. Pretty respectable group. I got mine from Tom's Foreign Auto on ebay.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Overlanding
Default You Were Right!

Anyone else that is in need of an ecm for an LR3, do NOT buy a used unit. Do NOT believe the other threads that discuss programming or re-flashing a used unit. It does not exist. After searching for some time I found a "fairly affordable" site landrovermerriamparts.com about $1,300 with free shipping. If anyone knows of a cheaper site, please let me know.