LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing a used LR3 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 01:25 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Purchasing a used LR3 question

My wife and I drove an 09 the other day and fell in love. We are shopping for them now and trying to be very careful about our selection. What I'm wondering is would we be better off on older with less miles or newer with more miles. The two we've narrowed it to are:

06 with 75000
09 with 109000

Any input is greatly appreciated

Old 01-29-2016, 01:42 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It really depends on the maintenance reports. I don't think anyone here will tell you what one to pick but if it was me I would want to know what maintenance services have been done.
-control arms
-suspension compressor
- how often differential fluids were changed
-if the transmission fluid was changed in the one with 109k

Stuff like that, if you look at the top of the lr3 forum page there is a pre purchase check list. I would look that over and try to find out as much info on both lr3's as possible.
Good luck

Old 01-29-2016, 01:46 PM
Mudding

I just read a little there and will continue. I appreciate any info.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:14 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hopefully you have a mechanic that you trust somewhere in your community.
It will cost you to have someone look at it, and that is as it should be, but you may be able to save much money in the long run.
I have a friend that is a Rover mechanic that went with me on the buying adventure and we looked at lots of LR3's before eventually getting one that had some issues but could be corrected. I spent less for the vehicle, with 115K miles, and was happy with the outcome even thought there were items that needed attention. I now have a well performing machine and am now in the process of adding those things that will make it a well performing off road vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
illbuildit (02-10-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 07:45 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by krick3tt
Hopefully you have a mechanic that you trust somewhere in your community.
It will cost you to have someone look at it, and that is as it should be, but you may be able to save much money in the long run.
I have a friend that is a Rover mechanic that went with me on the buying adventure and we looked at lots of LR3's before eventually getting one that had some issues but could be corrected. I spent less for the vehicle, with 115K miles, and was happy with the outcome even thought there were items that needed attention. I now have a well performing machine and am now in the process of adding those things that will make it a well performing off road vehicle.
Appreciate the input. We're searching everywhere within a 200 mile radius. Don't KNOW a mechanic but it's on my list of to-do's

Old 01-31-2016, 09:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The vehicle best for you really depends on price, maintenance history, and whether you DIY or pay a mechanic to work on it for you.

Can you share the price of each?
Are both available through a dealer or private sale?

I will bet the '06 is just like mine, in need of some TLC on the throttle body and in the fluids department, a pair of wheel bearings, and maybe some suspension components. Ask the seller to include new cabin air filter and intake air filter.

Take your time and check all the features of these wonderful machines to make sure everything functions especially the air suspension (air down completely, and then raise to offroad mode and make sure the truck drops and lifts as expected).

Best of luck with your purchase

illbuildit (02-09-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 09:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

This question gets asked every other day, so do your best and read through the more recent pages in the LR3 section. Check the tech section too, visit Atlantic British for the service intervals PDF, and get a copy of the RAVE manual from somewhere. Try to price out possible future repairs and maintenance costs.

Short answer I will give you: go for whichever one has perfect service records, preferably at the dealer. Get your choices down to two, maybe three trucks and GET THEM INSPECTED BY LAND ROVER. It is pricey but worth every penny. It will save you time, money, and stress by knowing pretty much what needs work and what is okay.

illbuildit (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 08:48 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DavC
This question gets asked every other day, so do your best and read through the more recent pages in the LR3 section. Check the tech section too, visit Atlantic British for the service intervals PDF, and get a copy of the RAVE manual from somewhere. Try to price out possible future repairs and maintenance costs.

Short answer I will give you: go for whichever one has perfect service records, preferably at the dealer. Get your choices down to two, maybe three trucks and GET THEM INSPECTED BY LAND ROVER. It is pricey but worth every penny. It will save you time, money, and stress by knowing pretty much what needs work and what is okay.
Thanks as you've answered some more of my questions. A couple more real quick...
We think we have found one or two used lr3's with low miles at an out of town dealership. They are both one owner bought from the dealership they are at and were traded in on new lr4's. Also, both were serviced there. would I be right if I said that I can trust these guys to school me on what to expect in the near future as far as repairs and maintenance? And is it a bad idea to buy from out of town?
Also, I've read that it is smart to have a code reader. Will the one at Oreilly's suffice or will I have to book a flight to buy an extravagant one elsewhere?

Thanks for all the feedback. We're getting prematurely excited about picking one up.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I would not count on a dealer to school you on what to expect. This message board is 100x more knowledgeable in that department. They know about wrench-turning but not as much about common issues and what may be coming around the corner.

Buy from out of town as long as you have a place to service it nearby.

For code readers: O'Reilly's will NOT suffice but you don't have to get too extravagant. My suggestion is the IIDTool from GAP Diagnostics. These days it's $400-500 and it is worth every penny. It is made specifically for the LR3 and you'll be amazed at all the things it can do.

illbuildit (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 06:08 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

FWIW, the worst deals I have seen people get have been from the dealer and I'm not just talking price. More than a few people I know have bought poorly maintained vehicles from the dealer and overpaid.

I would take a well cared for private party vehicle over dealer any day of the week, if possible.

illbuildit (02-10-2016)

Quick Reply: Purchasing a used LR3 question