LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing a used LR3 question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 11:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Flopping a rig is easy to do when you don't know what you're doing...and hard to do when you do know what you're doing.

The following users liked this post:
illbuildit (02-22-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 07:41 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Congrats again - day one and you've already had yours on a trail unlike me! I've crossed a few creeks and done a lot of towing but that's about it

Old 02-23-2016, 07:46 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EstorilM
Congrats again - day one and you've already had yours on a trail unlike me! I've crossed a few creeks and done a lot of towing but that's about it
HA! For sure. Thanks!
You guys led me down a great path to achieving a great vehicle. Cannot wait to get out and use it some more.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Flop? Naaaa... you've got a long way to go before that. Here's my latest attempt from last weekend.

Name:  IMG_20160220_135109934_zpsm9nizuyt.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  139.0 KB

Could be worse. Here's my buddy's RRC on the same trail. He was 'first in'. Now this I'd call a flop - the only reason he's not a full 90* is because he's held up by the snow bank.

Name:  20160220_110810_zpsjzhfqt2n.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  374.4 KB

The following users liked this post:
illbuildit (02-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 08:20 PM
Camel Trophy

What was the damage like on the RRC? I'd hope the snow bank helped mitigate body damage some. Also, how'd those STT Pros do in the snow?

Old 02-23-2016, 08:39 PM
Mudding

Holy cow that's good stuff. Hope burritos were not on the menu prior....
I don't live in the snow but wish I did. Looks like lots of fun except for not being able to see the terrain.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:17 PM
Camel Trophy

Meh...snow is overrated.

It's fun once a year, but technical terrain is much better.

I offer, of course, my own opinion.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:14 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Meh...snow is overrated.

It's fun once a year, but technical terrain is much better.

I offer, of course, my own opinion.
Amen, and from personal experience - the RRS and LR3 don't really like snow much due to their weight. I thought it was my crap OE tires or sport 22" tires on RRS, but nope - the new Wildpeaks are just as bad on LR3.

Looking forward to "technical terrain" where inertia and gravity are less of an issue. I've seen videos of these things doing the impossible on summer trails - even on stock rubber.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Minimal damage to the RRC. A small dent in the right front side of the hood and a bend in the roof rack bar. He did come close to loosing a window though as the rack snagged some decent sized branches that I went in and sawed off before the recovery.

He later went nearly as far over on the other side too with no damage.

The STT Pros seem about average on the snow. I think my old Duratracs did better, but that's to be expected as they were heavily siped compared to pretty much any MT tire. I was running them at 18 psi and did pack some snow/ice into one bead enough to get a bit of a leak but it cleared up once the ice melted away. It was actually pretty warm with temps well into the 40s during the day. This was from last Saturday on the Bald Mountain trail in the Sierras.

And agreed that the LR3 just isn't great in deep snow. Out here we have what they lovingly refer to as 'sierra cement'. It's hard and icy stuff, nothing like the powder in CO or some other areas. With lots of freeze/thaw cycles it's nasty dense stuff. It was easy going in the morning when it was still hard, but as the day warmed up we started to sink pretty good. And there just isn't enough tire to float 7000+ lbs of LR3 no matter how much you air down. The guys who did best were in Discos or RRCs running 33x10.50 and 35x12.50s. They could float pretty well compared to the big girls.

Amazingly, nobody in my group of 5 had a single failure. I did snap a cheapo Smittybuilt tree strap and break a Traction Jack (going to change to Maxxtrax I think) but nothing on the truck failed. I'm sure I'll fix that with our planned Rubicon run in June.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:48 AM
Mudding

@Zelatore are those ramps strapped to the back of the truck? I've been watching videos and looks like what I've seen used. I've done lots of back country driving but in my trucks or Avalanche and have never really gotten into it THAT much.

And..... When you end up in a hole like that, is there a lot of laughing and go ahead and eat your sandwich or is there a lot of cussing and stressing?

Quick Reply: Purchasing a used LR3 question