LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing catalytic converters in california

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 10:48 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing catalytic converters in california

I can find anything online, i need cats for my lr3 and im in California. everything ive been able to find online that will fit the lr3 is NOT california legal. I have to be missing something,there's somewhere im not looking(dont say the dealer), Can some in California, that has replaced their cats point me in the right direction. id like to get some universals i could just cut and weld in.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

You might check out some local wrecking yards. Some won’t sell the used cats, others wil. You will need to check around. Other than that, whatever you find new will be pricey. Good luck. Phil

Old 06-04-2019, 12:02 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts
Default Not possible.

Originally Posted by Mr.Ed
I can find anything online, i need cats for my lr3 and im in California. everything ive been able to find online that will fit the lr3 is NOT california legal. I have to be missing something,there's somewhere im not looking(dont say the dealer), Can some in California, that has replaced their cats point me in the right direction. id like to get some universals i could just cut and weld in.
Unfortunately there are no aftermarket cats that are CA legal.

Lately a lot of our customers who have installed aftermarket cats have been failing as the test stations are getting more diligent about checking cats visually.

it is ILLEGAL to sell used cats in CA unless for scrap.

What city are you located in? I might be able to track some down for you, but not cheap.

Contrary to what Phil says, I have yet to find a junkyard that is willing to sell cats. If Phil knows of a specific JY, I suggest you find out.

We just changed out cats for a customer on his sport, each side was $1200 a piece.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:12 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by abran
Unfortunately there are no aftermarket cats that are CA legal.

Lately a lot of our customers who have installed aftermarket cats have been failing as the test stations are getting more diligent about checking cats visually.

it is ILLEGAL to sell used cats in CA unless for scrap.

What city are you located in? I might be able to track some down for you, but not cheap.

Contrary to what Phil says, I have yet to find a junkyard that is willing to sell cats. If Phil knows of a specific JY, I suggest you find out.

We just changed out cats for a customer on his sport, each side was $1200 a piece.
I'm in the Ventura area

Old 06-04-2019, 12:19 PM
Baja

got ya. Our shop is in HB, I'll ask around for you.

You can call or text me to follow up.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:59 PM
8th Gear

What are the chances I don't need cats? I found a exhaust leak on the passenger side exhaust manifold,at the bottom flange. It looks like someone started backing out one of the two bolts and got seized up and stuck.
So my theory is, since it was leaking right before the 1st O2 sensor it's been reading lean, so more fuel is supplied and the rear sensors are reading rich, throwing a p0420 &p0430. Does it sound like I'm on to something?

I pulled off the exhaust manifold so I can remove the broken bolts from it and reinstall.

Last edited by Mr.Ed; 06-08-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:06 PM
8th Gear

The cats are so oddly shaped, looks kinda hard to recreate with universal aftermarket cats.im going to run it by a exhaust shop ,see what they suggest

Old 06-10-2019, 08:04 AM
Baja

Lets hope that’s the issue. Did you have CAT codes or O2 codes?

Old 06-10-2019, 10:16 AM
8th Gear

Cat codes
P0420 and p0430

Old 06-10-2019, 11:45 AM
Baja

Definitely Cat codes. I'm guessing the leak is not responsible, as the codes are for both banks if I am reading them right.

Quick Reply: Replacing catalytic converters in california