LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof rack cross bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 02:42 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof rack cross bars

Hello, all!

I'm looking for roof rack cross bars for my 2006 LR3. I don't think I'll use them that much, but the 'genuine' product is upwards of $400.
I'm not sure if this is a good 'value', and I'm wondering if anyone can provide feedback on any of the many 'non-genuine' alternatives out there.
Thanks in advance!

Dan

Old 03-29-2018, 03:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by djatkinson
I'm wondering if anyone can provide feedback on any of the many 'non-genuine' alternatives out there.
Thanks in advance!

Dan
I bought a set of aftermarket bars for our RRS and they are absolute trash compared to OEM. Pieces of plastic broke while installing and the locking mechanism tiolerances are so bad it was hard to get them to lock. They also wiggle side to side even though the small screws are tight.
I'm hesitant to use them for any weight bearing use at all. I put some Thule snow racks on this year but never actually transported snowboards for fear of the whole rig flying off the roof. These were purchased from the UK from a pretty reputable parts supplier and the cost is what got me. Under $200 delivered.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:29 AM
Overlanding

Your experience with 'absolute trash' aftermarket bars is what concerns me.

Is there anyone else that could provide advice on this???

Old 03-30-2018, 06:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It just really depends on the look you are going for. I have used a set of Thule racks that were originally for a ford explorer but the mounts worked on the LR3. They worked great, but I ultimately replaced them with OEM LR bars really because they just look correct. And they are quality for sure. I was tempted to try the cheap alternative look a likes but I just kept checking ebay and found a good set of OEMs for a decent price.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:54 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The Rhino Rack Vortex bars are great. But if "upwards of $400" is frightening to you, you might not look too hard at Rhino Rack.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a Yakima roof rack system with a Skybox. It installed well and is very very secure IMO. I bought the core bars and there is a slight whistle at 60 but it’s not an issue at all.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:47 AM
5th Gear

Used Yakima tube crossbars for years, they worked great, nice and strong too. I have a couple of them I'd be willing to sell for $200 plus shipping.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We found the some cross bars for a D1 in a pick-n-pull salvage yard for wicked cheap. Maybe $20 for the set. Snapped right in. They're often stashed under the back seat (at least for my Disco 1) so they are protected and get overlooked. Might be worth a visit.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:21 PM
Overlanding

I have both a factory pair and a Thule pair that'll fit into the factory tracks. Message me if interested.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 211 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkritchie
The Rhino Rack Vortex bars are great. But if "upwards of $400" is frightening to you, you might not look too hard at Rhino Rack.
I used the Rhino heavy duty bars from my D1 and picked up a set of 6 Rhino RLTP legs that fit the LR rails, much wider than the crappy factory bars which are now gathering dust in the shed.

Quick Reply: Roof rack cross bars