LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rounded Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rounded Bolt

So, I started to change the oil this weekend and found that 3 of the skid plate bolts were rusted tight. I broke a socket trying to remove one, so I took it to a local oil change/service place - been using them with my other cars for 7 years with no issues. They called 15 mins later and said that they had broken two sockets trying to remove the bolts.

Today, I got under and found that what *really* happened was that they successfully loosened two of the bolts, but the third stuck one was rounded off. Nicely rounded off. I don't want to spend the time drilling and rethreading, so it's off to a mechanic...all for an oil change.

Although, I did put anti-seize on all of the other bolts...

Old 04-06-2014, 04:34 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should take it back to the oil change place, or buy the socket remover set by irwin at local autoparts store. the set really works

Old 04-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Assuming there is access to the bolt: Get a Dremel w/ a cut off wheel and cut a slit in the head of the bolt large enough to wedge a large flat blade screwdriver. Voila.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
Assuming there is access to the bolt: Get a Dremel w/ a cut off wheel and cut a slit in the head of the bolt large enough to wedge a large flat blade screwdriver. Voila.
so you can't turn a bolt with six points of contact and a 14 inch long ratchet and you figure a screwdriver with two points of contact with basically zero leverage and zero torque will work...

This is the solution.

Combined with heat from a torch to use the expansion of the hot metal to help break the rust. (If available)

or a long breaker bar, pipe, anything to add leverage.

or an impact gun...

and if it breaks the bolt, drilling and an easy out is the answer,

if none of the above remove the bolt, re-threading (or drilling and installing a bolt with a nut if possible) is the solution.

But a lack of tools leads to only one solution: paying someone else to fix it. Personally, I prefer to spend money on tools rather than shop labour. Any tool in a tool box will pay for it self in the savings on labour and shop charges.

The best advice regarding broken sockets is to invest in a set of impact sockets. they still fit on a ratchet if you don't have an impact gun, but are pretty close to indestructible.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default bolt extractor sockets look effective

I have always had the best luck with the spiral EasyOut as shown above. That was a good post with the two pictures - I like that.

It may however be because I have never used the Irwin sockets before. They look pretty effective and easy to use - certainly easier than drilling and you still have that option when the head twists off.

Screw & Bolt Extractors - Tools - IRWIN TOOLS

What bothers me most however is wondering if the 3 has ever had an oil change previously. How can studs get rusted in that badly?

Old 04-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I broke couple of Craftsman bolt extractors before buying this one. It costs like a whole Craftsman kit, but is right on the job.

Last edited by d7sec; 04-09-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

That ol' adage, you get what you pay for applies here... Neat stuff, I can't stand easy outs, never had any luck with them. I found it was easier to carefully drill out everything but the threads.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Those extractor sockets have yet to let me down. Worth every penny if you work on automobiles.