LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scan tools - because the LR3 isn't expensive enough.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 06:36 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scan tools - because the LR3 isn't expensive enough.

Hey all.

I'm very new to the scan tool game - I've always relied on diagnostic ability that my grandfather taught me, and it's served me pretty well so far. Now, it seems, that the LR3 is far beyond my skill, especially when I look at all of the interrelated computer parameters that require, in essence, a one handed monkey to juggle 1,000 ***** while chewing gum to run correctly.

It seems that the basic OBDII boxes are relatively, um, simple when it comes to fully interacting with the computers on the LR3. It leads me to the choices of specialized tools. What people have talked about are these:

AutoEnginuity
RSW
Faultmate
Nanocom

I'm leaning toward the AutoEnginuity. Does anyone have one of these?

I'd like to hear comments on the functionality of the RSW. It seems a bit simpler (and much cheaper.) I don't want something to "get me by," I'd prefer to spend a few extra bucks for the security of knowing that if something happens, I won't have to re-spend an additional amount.

Also, how much different the Faultmate and the Nanocom are. The Blackbox solution website doesn't have a complete functionality list of each of their products, which would help me make an informed decision.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 01-30-2014, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

The nanocom support for LR3 is pretty new, but as of the last update it does everything hawkeye seems to do and more. And they are adding new features quite quickly. The faultmate is the Cadillac, designed for the professional, and does most everything and in some cases more than the dealer computer. To be affordable for the average user, they VIN lock it to one car. The nanocom doesn't do as much stuff, but is locked by model, not vin.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

The RSW product currently seems to only be a code reader and clearer. The only advanced feature currently listed on their website is adjusting the suspension. I'm assuming he'll add new features as time goes on. It seems to be the best deal, and if you only need to know what the codes are right now, it might be the way to go, and then you can just update the software as he add new features. (I assume).

4Dcan Diagnostic Tool

Old 01-31-2014, 08:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I would have a look at this one. It's listed here on the site. I have been intrigued by this, but have not had an opportunity to test one and write a review on it yet.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...-d2-lr3-64674/

I did pick up an BBS Faultmate, PM me if your interested on my comments on that.

I would seriously consider that hawkeye...

Old 02-06-2014, 11:56 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This setup is inexpensive and great, when I don't have our shops autologic around I keep it in the truck, uses ipad, it's quick and software can be purchased individually by make, clears adaptations, does some coding, reliable.
The only setback is IT HAS TO BE CONNECTED TO WIFI for initial connection, after that you can test drive and no biggie, you can also use iphone or android platform, witch would allow internet connection therefore use anywhere.
Setup is around $100 for obd2 and LR software is $60, downloadable

Launch X431 Auto Idiag OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Tool for iPad and iPhone | eBay

Old 02-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Drifting

VIN locking to a single VIN is just amazing to me. I mean, VAG-COM in the VW/Audi land is like $300 and is AMAZING. You can code the car to do all sorts of things--it's as good as the factory basically except for a couple of things.

Where these people get off locking to a single VIN amazes me.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bjwhite
VIN locking to a single VIN is just amazing to me. I mean, VAG-COM in the VW/Audi land is like $300 and is AMAZING. You can code the car to do all sorts of things--it's as good as the factory basically except for a couple of things. Where these people get off locking to a single VIN amazes me.
Not as many land rovers as there are vw. The nanocom isn't locked to a vin, and it's not too expensive.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:11 AM
Overlanding
Default Lol

Originally Posted by trail_beast
This setup is inexpensive and great, when I don't have our shops autologic around I keep it in the truck, uses ipad, it's quick and software can be purchased individually by make, clears adaptations, does some coding, reliable.
The only setback is IT HAS TO BE CONNECTED TO WIFI for initial connection, after that you can test drive and no biggie, you can also use iphone or android platform, witch would allow internet connection therefore use anywhere.
Setup is around $100 for obd2 and LR software is $60, downloadable

Launch X431 Auto Idiag OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Tool for iPad and iPhone | eBay

+1

indeed a great scan tool. soft is available on APP store.The only thing that immediately catches the eye – is that software for IOS looks like something more complete than for Android.

Hardware price is down, i saw the cheapest 20$ on the aftermarket

Old 01-28-2015, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I ave the tekpro 3000 from atlantic british, so far it looks like it does about everything on lr3 , it is thier generic copy of the hawkeye pro best i can tell

does all lr 1996-2014 + bmw+mini+generic obd2

nanocom looks good if you need it for 1 vehicle

start unlocking other vehicles and it gets crazy $ like the hawkeye looks like unlocks range from $69- $280 usd
http://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/shop.php

Last edited by TOM R; 01-28-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:19 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

GAP Diagnostics IID Bluetooth Tool. Hands down. Easy user interface, constantly updated. This is a screen shot off my iPhone from my ride home the other night. Check out their website and see what you can do. http://www.gap-diagnostic.com/products/iidtool.html

Attached Thumbnails Scan tools - because the LR3 isn't expensive enough.-img_2437.png  

Quick Reply: Scan tools - because the LR3 isn't expensive enough.