LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scraping sound when I let off the throttle

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 10:12 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scraping sound when I let off the throttle

Hoping someone can help?
I have 2006 2.7d autobox with 119k on the clock, only recently purchased it, and it has a horrible scraping sound when I let off the throttle, it sounds exactly like a worn brake pad but all my pads are fine and makes no difference at all in sound if i brake.
can see underneath that its had a new center and rear prop and a gearbox service recently but it obviously not took the noise away.
Don't have any noise at all in neutral or accelerating only slowing down that seems to sound worse as its dropping down the gears
Thanks

Old 07-21-2021, 12:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

Does it sound like Hill Descent Control?
Or different (like only from 1 wheel, from trans, from Dif, etc)?

Old 07-21-2021, 12:49 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by douglastic
Does it sound like Hill Descent Control?
Or different (like only from 1 wheel, from trans, from Dif, etc)?
no, ive used the hdc and all working fine and totally different sound, almost sounds exactly like a scraping brake pad but none of them are worn and it makes no difference in sound when breaking?

Old 07-21-2021, 04:07 PM
Rock Crawling

check dust shields?
pad wear sensors?

keep eliminating the easy first

Old 07-22-2021, 06:03 AM
5th Gear

check dust shields?
pad wear sensors?

keep eliminating the easy first
thanks, know its going to be a case of process eliminating and starting with easiest/ cheaoest 1st ive had my fair share of problematic cars, people think landrovers are bad try owning an e60 m5 bloody money pits lol.

After listening more it does have a bit of bearing sound to it?
another thing I've noticed is if i let off the throttle the revs drop to idel rpm instead of staying a bit higher from engine braking? Its also when the car is changing down gears that I'm getting the noise but nothing going up through the gears under throttle or on a steady run while driving at a constant speed?
taking it to a indy landrover garage tomorrow that is going to spend an hour going over it with me to see if we can pin it down to something?
hoping its just my front prop but maybe wishful thinking ha.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:28 AM
Rock Crawling

if wheel bearing
did you lift each corner and grab the tire at 12 and 6, and push-pull?
you want solid - movement should indicate bad bearing

Old 07-22-2021, 11:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Those bearings create noise in strange ways, I just replaced mine a few weeks ago. Was super easy. Find the YouTube video by Atlantic British about the front wheel bearings.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:59 AM
5th Gear

if wheel bearing
did you lift each corner and grab the tire at 12 and 6, and push-pull?
you want solid - movement should indicate bad bearing
yeah ive checked the wheel for any movement while jacked up and couldn't feel any but now its on the ground and give it a good shake im not sure if I can feel a slight bit of movement?
For the price ill get a new hub and bearing put on and double check the brake calliper and dust cover etc.
just worried it was coming from the box but sounds definately front the front passenger and not a central sound.

Old 07-24-2021, 11:03 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Those bearings create noise in strange ways, I just replaced mine a few weeks ago. Was super easy. Find the YouTube video by Atlantic British about the front wheel bearings.
cheers, ill get that done 1st
just ive always found wheel bearing noise to change on turning left/right or be a howling sound whilst driving? I can completely eliminate the noise driving if I hold my revs to around 900/1000rpm while slowing down, moment it hits 750/800rpm i get the noise.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaz2510
cheers, ill get that done 1st
just ive always found wheel bearing noise to change on turning left/right or be a howling sound whilst driving? I can completely eliminate the noise driving if I hold my revs to around 900/1000rpm while slowing down, moment it hits 750/800rpm i get the noise.
. I had some brake issues with regard to noise, so I did the hub replacement and replaced the sliders for each caliber, plus because of rear warped brakes I chose to replace with the EBC package from Atlantic British.

The wheel bearings didn’t seem terribly bad on vehicle, but a little play. When I pulled them and simply moved them by hand there was a nothing natural sound from one of them. Keep in mind a bad wheel bearing allows the rotor to move while the caliber is fixed. Nothing good from that happening. 1,000 miles later and everything is perfect, but I will also never install factory pads and rotors again, the EBC’s are a worthwhile upgrade.