LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Sirius Dropouts

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 12:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Serious Sirius Dropouts

I've been struggling with dropouts when listening to Sirius channels since buying my '09.
My dropouts are random, and at odd times - like when I’m in full view of a clear blue sky. In fact, the dropouts occur more often in that scenario than others like cloudy skies or under short overpasses.

I've reset the radio via Sirius' Website a couple of times to no avail.
Last week I swapped out the receiver module for a new one - no change.
So, I started focusing on the antenna and came up with a possible clue but I need some advice.

From the Workshop Manual, it states there are 2 separate antennas housed in the roof pod/fin. One for direct satellite reception, and the other for rebroadcasted terrestrial signals when the satellite transmission is weak.

Pasted from the manual:

The SDARS antenna is located in the roof mounted pod, which is located in the centre of the roof at the rear of the vehicle. The SDARS antenna has two connections to the SDARS tuner, one for satellite transmissions the other for terrestrial transmissions from repeater stations.
The antenna comprises two antenna elements:
A printed dipole antenna for receiving satellite signals
A printed monopole antenna for receiving terrestrial signals
The two antennas allow the system to receive SDARS transmissions in built up areas where signals form satellites would normally be blocked. For additional information, refer to Audio System (415-01 Audio Unit)
Last night I pulled the fin off the roof and cracked open the trim in the rear to expose the wiring from the antenna and I found the possible issue, and thus my question.

My antenna does in fact have 2 wires running from it, but only 1 wire terminates inside the vehicle and is connected to the Sirius tuner.

Roof fin - 2 wires
Name:  IMG_6005.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  166.8 KB

And only the white wire coming from above in to the vehicle - this plugs in to the tuner module.
Name:  IMG_6004.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  167.7 KB

Any of you go this deep before? Am I missing a connection or did the later models do away with the 2 antenna input design? The tuner module only has one antenna input, but I’m not sure about earlier models. I know some parts on the later 08’s and 09’s were in fact the same as from LR4 - my Bluetooth module for example.

Thanks for any input.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Rock Crawling

Even the factory wiring diagram shows 2 inputs to the satellite module.
Ugh - my module only has one antenna inout.

Attached Thumbnails Serious Sirius Dropouts-lr3-sat-radio.png  
Old 06-26-2015, 10:57 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

FWIW, I drove my 2006 LR3 with Sirius for 5 years and the connection was always ****. I thought it may just have been my truck, but I get the same dropouts in my 2007 Full Size Range Rover as well. I think they just use a weak antenna. I get dropouts when going under a bridge for less than a second and I get dropouts on real foggy and cloudy days.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:29 AM
Rock Crawling

Yeah, I'm afraid of that... Sucks. I'm still wondering about the dual antennas - it that was the original design but they cheaped out in the end. If you ever pull one or the interior panel again, I'd be curious to know if you see 2 wires leading in...

Old 11-30-2019, 12:59 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing this old thread, hope you don't mind, it's one sorta close to what I have going.

So, I have a 2008 LR3 HSE, and the stereo has the usual AM/FM, CD plus an AUX jack and Sirius XM built in. (Oh, GPS/nav too.)

CD/AM/FM all work swell. I can't get output out of the AUX jack, so I figured I would splurge for Sirius. The station ID on that channel would read CALL 1-800-(sirius number, whatever that is), so I at least knew it was capable of getting it. I had a refresh signal sent several times... no output. But curiously, the signal recognized the channel it was on (20, the Springsteen station), yet no sound. Then after a few more refresh attempts, the radio ID reported NO SIGNAL. Huh. A few days later, still on that dead Sirus station and BAM- music blares out from the Springsteen station- then cuts out. On, off, on a bit longer, off for a long time. Not even a full song of sound, maybe 5 seconds tops.

And that is where it is, currently. I haven't done anything, but I did buy this LR3 used a few months ago, and the back half of the antenna cover is not present. I called the dealer for an appointment, but they are backed up a couple months since they are shutting down in December to move to a new location, so for now, I am trying to figure out the cause/solution.

Is a new antenna suggested? I don't know the construction of these units, and would assume half of the cover being missing is... problematic.

Suggestions?