LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUSLY? Leaking ? AGAIN? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 10:53 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SERIOUSLY? Leaking ? AGAIN? Please help!

This is such an endless amount of fun.

Earlier this year, I had the windshield replaced I got them to close up and seal the A pillar issues. I've just discovered another leak in the passenger footwell. WTF... I thought I had this problem solved...

I have not replaced the sunroof drain boots - I cut them open as recommended - they didn't seem blocked or perished. I really hope I don't have to replace this as that fuse box is a PIA.

I am wondering if it's the cowl. However, my cabin filter is still dry.

Here's a pic. You can see the drips and the areas of wetness. The tape on the first bundle centre right is wet.

I decided to run a hose from above so it drained down the sunroof and over the windshield/cowl.

I was thinking of taping the cowl shut then taping the sunroof closed pro temp. Doing one then the other and see which still leaks.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-25-2020, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Chasing the same issues myself, I wish us both luck

Old 05-25-2020, 11:21 PM
Mudding

It seems, after spraying the top/windshield with water...even after stopping, there was a stream still coming down.

It tells me:

1) Either there's water trapped somewhere that is still entering the passenger compartment
2) The sunroof is still draining...and draining.

There is A LOT of water and it's getting stopped in the sills. I shop vac'd it out.

I'm wondering if the way to do this is to seal the cowl and the sun roof and see if it still leaks. if no leak, remove one and see which leaks. Or vice versa.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 720 Likes on 605 Posts

FYI you can pull the cabin filter and look right outside if the hood is open. You can observe any water entry form there, would see it dripping into the air intake "tray".

For the cowl you can use cold weather electrical tape. Works and bonds pretty well and since its black, you won't even notice it. The cowl itself is easy to replace. I did mine but plan to do it again with some super strong double-sided foam tape to ensure it can not pull away - because my new one already has a damn bow in it...

The drains will continue to degrade and rot, opening them up is fine when they are new but they are still very old rubber. The new ones have a nylon elbow inside that greatly reduces issues. Really if I had to bet, I would say you had a drain give way or its about to. You can pull the intake grille and the foam and look again, might need a bright light inside to help.

And pull the interior a-pillar covers. Remove that AIRBAG cover, it has a plastic leash but pops right off. Then a torx bolt. Thats all, just pulls right up and out. Make sure its dry on its back side, etc. Easy to check.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:23 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
FYI you can pull the cabin filter and look right outside if the hood is open. You can observe any water entry form there, would see it dripping into the air intake "tray".

For the cowl you can use cold weather electrical tape. Works and bonds pretty well and since its black, you won't even notice it. The cowl itself is easy to replace. I did mine but plan to do it again with some super strong double-sided foam tape to ensure it can not pull away - because my new one already has a damn bow in it...

The drains will continue to degrade and rot, opening them up is fine when they are new but they are still very old rubber. The new ones have a nylon elbow inside that greatly reduces issues. Really if I had to bet, I would say you had a drain give way or its about to. You can pull the intake grille and the foam and look again, might need a bright light inside to help.

And pull the interior a-pillar covers. Remove that AIRBAG cover, it has a plastic leash but pops right off. Then a torx bolt. Thats all, just pulls right up and out. Make sure its dry on its back side, etc. Easy to check.

So I did a test - I duct taped the cowl to windshield. Then I ran the hose again - no leaks!

So I suspect, that it's the cowl that's the issue, even though the cabin air filter was bone dry. At least I hope that's it.

There was not accumulated water in the passenger well.

I will get some gorilla tape in black as a temp. measure. I will order a cowl from the US and pick up just over the border...when the border reopens. :\

Will continue to monitor.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts
Default Baffle...

I shielded the pollen filter box with a plastic license plate insert. Works very well.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:50 AM
Mudding

Yes - I saw your post on this. I will do something similar with some scrap sheet metal...Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (05-27-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 01:57 PM
Mudding

Update.

lots of rain here in Vancouver this weekend

i was able to test the cowl by taping it off and testing with a hose. No water in to the cabin.

took it out this morning when I was pulling out on to the driveway I heard a “whoosh” of water. Didn’t think anything of it. Then went up the drive way (an incline) and all this water came out over the mat and on to the Carpet. Argh!

I think that only leaves the sunroof drain?

is there anywhere else what would collect water like that and suddenly let it go when tilting the car up?

Last edited by Philip Chan; 05-31-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:49 PM
Mudding
Default Possible fix....

Took the offensive with this. Initially I taped the sunroof up so it would buy me some time so could get the drain ordered and replaced. The thought of dealing with this and then the junction box filled me with dread. So I was determined to find another way.

I had some poly tubing lying around and thought I may be able to do something with this. What about running it somewhere else and having it drain another place other than behind the box.

so I looked for an exit.

I found one in a blank cover next to the original location. It’s a plastic plug that is siliconed there. I drilled a hole in it to run my tube.

from the inside I removed the a pillar cover and was going to run a completely new line to the sunroof drain. Instead I pushed the drain elbow ( the one that rots) back through and then pulled the existing tube from above. The end must have come off at source as I was left with just the rubber tube.

I pulled the tube out slightly and redirected it to just behind the glove box. I then attached the poly tube ( it fit in) and secured with a zip tie. Then I fed the new tube out thought the blank and zip tied into the fender.

I then used JB weld to seal the plug and around The new pipe.

lets hope it works- the last thing I wanted to do is mess with the junction box....

sorry. Pics are sideways. Not sure how to fix that yet.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 720 Likes on 605 Posts

I pray to the gods that is very temporary.

Quick Reply: SERIOUSLY? Leaking ? AGAIN? Please help!