LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter D illuminated, lit.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 01:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Shifter D illuminated, lit..

Folks,

I've got my 2005 LR3, which is still very new to me. I've been looking over it for problems and issues or any oddities I can find, and I have come up with a couple things I'd like some thoughts on, as they may be related.

Shifter gives me zero problems switching between park and drive, shows it on the dash properly. When I kick it to the left for "sport" mode - it stays in D, according to the dash. up or downshifting makes no change, does nothing. Someone stated this may be some corrosion under the truck on the side of the transmission, for the linkage. It sure seems to clunk over properly, but I plan on checking that out to be sure.

The other oddity I've found related to the shifter that I've not had a great time searching for -- D is illuminated on the shifter. All of the time. When I'm out of the truck and the truck is off, the D is lit. I'm assuming this is NOT normal?

I've scanned the truck for codes and none come up for the transmission. Plenty for HVAC vents, etc but nothing for transmission.

Thoughts on this?

Dave

Last edited by Ghaniba; 05-09-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Dave,

Just to keep this thread alive, I have a similar small issue.
My 2005 has the R illuminated all the time whether in Park or Drive. The shifting works just fine, including the sport shifting.

Hopefully someone has figured this out.

Andrew

Old 05-12-2015, 06:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Probably need new shift linkage.. particularly if you are in a rust belt. I have all the parts, but have not had the problem yet.

This is not guaranteed, but a good start point.

Shift Components
LR012704 - Lever
WYH000040 - Nut - flanged
VYH500020 - Nut - Hex
TYG000050 - Bolt
TZT500040 - Bush
TYF000050 - Washer - spring

Old 05-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the mechanical linkage sends gear selection status to the dash indicator, not the indicator by the gear lever. So I don't think this could be the issue.
I guess what I am looking for is what makes the gear indicator by the lever light up. Electrical contacts in the lever assembly? Anyone know?

Old 05-14-2015, 05:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk99
I believe the mechanical linkage sends gear selection status to the dash indicator, not the indicator by the gear lever. So I don't think this could be the issue.
I guess what I am looking for is what makes the gear indicator by the lever light up. Electrical contacts in the lever assembly? Anyone know?
This is my assumption as well, which is why I haven't bothered taking it apart just yet. It's on the list, just not high up on it.

Dave

Old 05-04-2024, 02:05 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
Folks,

I've got my 2005 LR3, which is still very new to me. I've been looking over it for problems and issues or any oddities I can find, and I have come up with a couple things I'd like some thoughts on, as they may be related.

Shifter gives me zero problems switching between park and drive, shows it on the dash properly. When I kick it to the left for "sport" mode - it stays in D, according to the dash. up or downshifting makes no change, does nothing. Someone stated this may be some corrosion under the truck on the side of the transmission, for the linkage. It sure seems to clunk over properly, but I plan on checking that out to be sure.

The other oddity I've found related to the shifter that I've not had a great time searching for -- D is illuminated on the shifter. All of the time. When I'm out of the truck and the truck is off, the D is lit. I'm assuming this is NOT normal?

I've scanned the truck for codes and none come up for the transmission. Plenty for HVAC vents, etc but nothing for transmission.

Thoughts on this?

Dave

I have a video I made. Remove the shift selector and look at the green circuit card that the harness connects to. I’m sure there is pins corroded at the bottom. I know this may be a little late, but I’m sure other have the same issue. This causes a transmission fault and keeps the gears illuminated even when you turn the truck off. Mine was stuck in “D” at all times even when shifted into park. Hopefully this could help someone.

here is the link

https://youtu.be/QIq-S07_GCM?feature=shared

Old 05-04-2024, 07:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 219 Likes on 193 Posts

That post is 9 years old, he's either fixed it or moved the vehicle on by now.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:19 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by loanrangie
That post is 9 years old, he's either fixed it or moved the vehicle on by now.

oh I’m sure. I just know I didn’t see an answer for it. Someone else with an LR3 will probably be looking for an answer as well.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 219 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnestLR3
oh I’m sure. I just know I didn’t see an answer for it. Someone else with an LR3 will probably be looking for an answer as well.

I did about 2 years ago.

Old 05-04-2024, 10:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 742 Likes on 622 Posts

As long as info is added that helps, I think thread necromancy is fine.