LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SIMPLE answer for so MANY FAULTS?? Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIMPLE answer for so MANY FAULTS?? Part 2

The HDC light remains on, along with the Brake lining light (brakes are fine), so I'm going to take it to the dealer in order to clear codes, fix system, and get me up and running.

Ride Height is low...but the toggle doesn't respond, and no lights on this part.

One guy thought a weak battery might contribute to the error messages, so yesterday I changed the battery out for the one in our other LR3.

Here is the question: The truck now will not start, and the following messages appear:
* HDC Fault; system not available

* Transmission Fault; all gears limited

* Transmission Range Change not available

* Parking Brake Fault; auto release not available

* Engine system fault

I disconnect the Neg lead again and then re-connected it (hoping that an electrical re-set would fix the glitch) No change.

The other LR3 runs fine after the battery change (even though it now has the weaker battery). The battery in the LR that doesn't start is OEM.

Anybody have a clue, diagnosis, etc? Is there a way to get the truck running so I don't have to flat-bed it to the dealer?

What did I do wrong??

Last edited by bamaboy473; 07-22-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Shop manual section attached and Parking brake has a manual emergency release. The Rover gods have the printed "rain dance & fire drill for battery swap" procedures in the shop manual, that section is attached at very bottom. Hope this helps about release of brake.

The emergency release cable allows the parking brake to be mechanically released if:
l The parking brake cannot be electrically released because of a system fault.
l The battery is disconnected or battery voltage decreases below 7.5 volts while the parking brake is applied, so
that the parking brake cannot be electrically released.
The parking brake is mechanically released by disconnecting the force sensor from the spline shaft in the parking brake
module. During normal operation, the force sensor and the spline shaft are locked together by a lever operated pawl on
the end of the spline shaft, which engages with a spigot on the force sensor.
The emergency release cable is a Bowden cable installed between the parking brake module and the center console. The
emergency release cable is held in clips along the underside of the vehicle and enters the passenger compartment below
the center console through an aperture in the transmission tunnel. A quick release fitting seals the emergency release
cable in the aperture. At the parking brake module, a sealing collar on the outer cable is a push fit in the housing of the
parking brake module.
In the center console, a pull ring is installed on the end of the inner cable. The pull ring is designed to fit the hook on the
end of the jack handle which, in combination with a screwdriver shaft, can be used to pull on the cable.
The pull required to release the latch is approximately 200 N (45 lbf). When the pull ring of the emergency release cable
is released, the spring in the parking brake module retracts the inner cable and the nipple moves away from the pawl
operating lever.
After the emergency release cable has been used to release the parking brake, the next time an apply selection is made
with the parking brake switch, the parking brake module automatically runs through a latching procedure to reconnect the
spline shaft with the force sensor. The parking brake module turns the spline shaft so that it moves towards the force
sensor. The pawl of the spline shaft then re-engages with the spigot of the force sensor. A second apply selection with the
parking brake switch is required to apply the parking brake.

Without release of brake, there is no telling what damage would come from a roll back wrecker. Using wrecker dollies would be preferred I guess.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Specifications.pdf (11.1 KB, 774 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-22-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Mudding

hmmm, what I think your reference suggested is that a flatbed isn't going to work until that parking brake is turned OFF. Is the worst that can happen involve tires rubbing for 20'?

Would the parking brake not being released automatically have anything to do with the other codes? Since the truck will not even start, I'm wondering whether the brake is one of the lesser problems that would be addressed when we get the truck started.

What would cause a non-starting situation after a battery change?

Why would the other LR3 start right up and this one not? Neither got the parking brake applied by me, and both are on flat land, FWIW.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could try a hard reset of the Rover - this was mentioned on one of the UK forums

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Hard Reset

If the EPB is still on, if you need to release the wheels for a tow then you should try the small bowden cable release which is under the main console. There should be instructions in the handbook under "emergency EPB release". If your pads aren't stuck to the drum you should be good.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

If trouble truck had battery swapped, and problem stayed with it, it could be something as simple as ground side battery lead not bonded to chassis, follow the black cable and be sure it has clean and tight connections to metal.

Sorry about the attachment, it was several pages long, but only one came thru. There was stuff about turning key on and off, etc. I'll post it again later today, I don't carry the LR shop manual on my phone. It is under "Charging System".

Saw this on another site:

"My battery was recently dead, and to avoid having to reset the codes I performed an experiment and it worked. I took another old battery and jumper cabled it to the range rover terminal clamps towards the back so I could still get to the terminal bolts. I had the new battery ready and took off the clamps and had a friend hold them by the cables so the jumpers were still attached. Then I lowered in the new battery and attached the terminals and it worked! I didn't have to reset the codes or even worse take it to the dealer and be charged $200 for a battery change."

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-22-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Here are the missing pages. Seems like a number of steps are taken, depending on condition of battery you start with.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Specifications.pdf (33.8 KB, 420 views)
Old 07-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Mudding

To clarify, the truck ran before the battery swap; albeit it had the message that HDC was turned OFF. I don't know if the brake is off or not, since it wasn't an issue before the swap. Does that help?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:18 AM
Mudding

From Buzz' posts talking about battery and nothing else (yet) I'm guessing that the system might be locked up?

I went to ignition 2, pulled the PB and shut it off. No change.

Does that manual have a troubleshooting section that specifies what to do when all these codes pop up after a battery change??

Old 07-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

most say connect to Test book

Old 07-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
most say connect to Test book
??? This forum has way too few members contributing their knowledge or opinions as it is, and maybe because most issues with LRs are only solved at dealers? Is that possible?

The response to connect to Test book means what? Take it to a dealer?

Quick Reply: SIMPLE answer for so MANY FAULTS?? Part 2