LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sluggish below 3,000 rpm (4.4 V8)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know the the transmission and misfire issues are unrelated but I did want to point out the sluggishness of the transmission when it comes to downshifting.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:20 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by roverguy7
So, just to recap the OP's concern, there are two issues...

1. The engine falls on its face when pushed from a lower RPM.

2. There is a delay in down shifting.

Did both of these occur around the same time?

Is the lack of power at all speeds, or only when in a higher gear?

If you put it in manual 1, and give it say 50% throttle from a rolling start, does it take off, or would this cause it to 'studder' as well?

When it is 'shuddering', does the engine speed increase, as if the trans (torque converter) is slipping?

If engine speed does not raise, and it only gets up and goes once at a higher RPM, regardless of selected gear, I would be looking at either a large vacuum leak, or a bad MAFS(cleaning may not be enough, as the only part that gets 'dirty' is the IAT sensor bulb, which I don't see causing this dramatic of an issue. Both of these should be setting the MIL on, and throwing codes. If nothing else, try another scanner.

Other possible cause for the above scenario would be a (or multiple) misfires, again, should have codes, and a misfire like this is not that common on this engine.

You're at the point of throwing a part at it, or having it diagnosed, I would choose the latter.
Under light throttle it has the typical lr3 hard launch from the aggressive initial throttle tip in, but if I stab the throttle it doesn't jump off the line like it does if I apply say 15% throttle and you can hear the missfire through the exhaust and feel it

Old 07-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Change the MAFS or take it in to get it diagnosed. Both will be around the same amount of money, one is a guess(educated, but still a guess) the other will need a repair after the diag.

It's a gamble, how lucky do you feel?

Old 07-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have a floor mat (or more than one on the d/s floor), I would recommend removing
them and recheck the performance...

Cheers

Old 07-31-2013, 11:39 PM
Mudding

Cleaned the MAF (noticed some buildup when doing so), replaced the air filter and disconnected the battery to reset it and it runs much much better. I used the CRC MAF cleaner. Next is a fuel injection service. Thanks for all the replies everyone. Transmission seems to be more responsive as well. Maybe the misfiring and sluggishness mad it feel unresponsive.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:42 PM
Mudding

For anyone else who wants to do this just attach the straw and spray close to the sensor but do NOT touch it with anything. The stream of cleaner coming out of the straw is more than enough to clean it just follow the instructions. I will post fuel economy gains when I get back into town and drive it enough to document it.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

It is also very important to do this when engine is cold, and you have not turned on the ignition key (like to move truck into garage, or listen to radio, etc.) Turning on the key warms up the sensor inside at a tiny spot to like 350F. Hot and cold don't like each other.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
It is also very important to do this when engine is cold, and you have not turned on the ignition key (like to move truck into garage, or listen to radio, etc.) Turning on the key warms up the sensor inside at a tiny spot to like 350F. Hot and cold don't like each other.
Yes, whatever you do make sure it is unplugged. I unplugged and completely removed the MAF and didn't spray anything in there until I had completely unplugged and removed it.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a very old thread. But I am having the same exact problem with my 05 LR3 and i cant figure it out. has this been resolved? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

...curious if the 69-guy from Louisiana actually observed a misfire or if he was just using terms loosely when he spoke of a missfire <sic>.

Quick Reply: Sluggish below 3,000 rpm (4.4 V8)