LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snorkel for LR3 petrol

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 04:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkritchie
So $160 for the same unit that ARB charges $500 for, or it's so much like the ARB they even went so far as to emboss the ARB logo and URL on it?
It will be a knock off, as far as i know the Safari's are still made in Oz. I fitted an Airflow which is also made in Oz not too far from me, $220 delivered and then gave me back $30 for taking some install pics for their website.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
I plan to pressure test when its all complete. Right now I need to source better filter box screws. Prior shops or owners stripped them out bad and the box barely seals. Also I do not like the interface between the filter box and snorkel tube end - the elbow. It just does not seem like a very good seal I can trust. So I am going to get a little creative with some gasket material that is better and some nuts and bolts to compress the interface better. Then I will pressure test from filter box outlet to snorkel top. But as for sealing the filter box itself, I am a little adamant in doing so. I am looking into installing a check valve, maybe with a ball float or such. I need to look into that more and see what is viable. But I do feel there needs to be a water exit, I am not convinced that rain will not enter the snorkel when driving.
I agree the interface from airbox to wing assembly is not great. However if you get it right, a pressure test will show it is holding ok. You will want to pressure from the snorkel neck intake with everything closed up, 3 psi is all you need. Test it any other way and you risk overlooking a leak further down, better to do a full system.

Less rain than you think will get in, and it won't hurt anything. It would take a huge amount of rain or even a hose spray to fill that box up to the point where it gets into the filter element and then into the intake manifold. If you have to do a check valve make sure it has a good margin of error, if it gets jammed up with debris (which the safari style will suck up a lot of), you will need to monitor it that is opening and closing correctly. The vehicle I had fitted one to was completely fine with out a box drain. You could always turn the snorkel head around or fit another cap style. Airflow isn't a terrible issue for that motor.

Keep in mind your transfer box and transmission breathers end at the bottom edge of your windshield glass.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Update: Snorkel is holding up fine. No fading issues that I can see. I still want to source a better seal for between the snorkel elbow coming out of the body to the air box. Have ideas, just need to find the right part.