LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow chains?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 12:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm running the 275/70-18 STT Pro. I would not recommend it for a daily driver but for a trail rig they work. I haven't had a chance to get them in the rocks yet since I just put them on this winter.

If you like the Duratrac but are worried about them, look at the Cooper ST-Maxx. For about 10,000 good refrences for that tire head over to ExPo - those guys LOVE that tire.

For a truck that's largely driven on the street but you still want some trail worthy rubber, I'd look at the Cooper AT/3. I have a friend running them on her LR4 daily driver/light trail rig and she loves them. They also won a shoot-out by the Overland Journal guys a couple years ago by a good margin, though that didn't include any of the more aggressive AT tires.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes....11 years down the road and we are facing all to familiar problem ,everybody else can do it , but not us .From Yotas , Jeeps and Hummers to Land cruisers and G class , but still ...not us and that is , without any modifications.
We have one of the most capable overloading /off roading trucks out there , but still, without pounding seams on wheel wells , moving harnesses, promoting mechanical and electronic lift devices and spacers, we are limited for sure.
We don't have to go bigger , so to speak , as our rigs rely on different suspension set up that solid axle vehicles.When we press the button ,entire chassis is lifted , without leaving those vulnerable spots , such as low hanging diffs , which is the case in , again , solid ale trucks .Their only option to avoid that was to resort to a biggest tire available , so it could lift the whole solid suspension up .Our set up does not need that mentality. We don't need a bigger tire, at least I don't and i roll with big guys on 37's and 42's. all I need is a slightly different approach to a obstacle , that's all.
Now.all our problems would disappear , if we could easily get our hands on 17 inch wheels. There are MT options out there , that would fit our trucks without going bigger. There is one company , in Germany , that has those 17 and their offset is enough, that they fit LR3 without any mods to a brake system, but......If I only did not have to pay arm and the leg for a set, I would get them in the heartbeat .maybe one day , but as my rig approaches 200 000 miles , I question myself in times like these , should I invest more money in aging truck or should i take a road more traveled and find out , if grass is really greener on the other side .Cheers

Old 02-25-2016, 02:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

70s, Don? I didn't realize that. I've seen 65s on sale on-line. Is that an error? Are 275/65R18s not available in the STT Pro?

Old 02-26-2016, 11:33 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by thorgal
Y We don't need a bigger tire, at least I don't and i roll with big guys on 37's and 42's. all I need is a slightly different approach to a obstacle , that's all.
Sure, I roll with guy on 37 and 42 as well.

On fire roads.

Let's face it - the LR3 has plenty of good points but it will never be a rock crawler. This sounds like the kid in the Honda Civic who 'raced' a new Vette/M3/AMG C63/Ferrari/Etc. Sure he 'hung with' the exotic car, maybe even beat him to the next stoplight. The problem is the exotic car didn't know there was a race on while the Civic was maxed out.

If anybody truly believes they can 'roll with' a rig on 37s or 42s in an LR3, please PLEASE come down here and show me how you do it. We will start by running Fordyce. I won't be bringing my LR3, and no, I won't be paying for your damage. I will however bring a camera to document the carnage.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:36 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by houm_wa
70s, Don? I didn't realize that. I've seen 65s on sale on-line. Is that an error? Are 275/65R18s not available in the STT Pro?
Yes, I deliberately moved up to the 70 with this set of tires to gain the extra sidewall. The STT Pro is available in a 65 as well which is an easier fit as it's 1" shorter and .4" narrower.

Cooper Tire & Rubber Company - Discoverer STT PRO?

Old 02-26-2016, 02:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Zelatore
Sure, I roll with guy on 37 and 42 as well.

On fire roads.

Let's face it - the LR3 has plenty of good points but it will never be a rock crawler. This sounds like the kid in the Honda Civic who 'raced' a new Vette/M3/AMG C63/Ferrari/Etc. Sure he 'hung with' the exotic car, maybe even beat him to the next stoplight. The problem is the exotic car didn't know there was a race on while the Civic was maxed out.

If anybody truly believes they can 'roll with' a rig on 37s or 42s in an LR3, please PLEASE come down here and show me how you do it. We will start by running Fordyce. I won't be bringing my LR3, and no, I won't be paying for your damage. I will however bring a camera to document the carnage.
Remamber, that I am on East Coast , there is no serious and continuous rock crawling here, there are boulders and rocks, lots of mud , hill climbs, sang and ruts , greenery abounds, unlike a Utah, Arizona and Cali. Lot's of snow and forested roads and water , especially VT, Nj and NH , so no need to show off with rock crawling skills, so to speak..

Old 02-26-2016, 03:10 PM
Rock Crawling

You could try the BFG KO2s...or the Cooper STT Pros like I'm looking at.
There's a pretty big step between the STT Pro and the KO2.

I'd say the KO2 is more directly competitive with the ST Maxx, while the KM2 is compares with the STT Pro.

Around my area the BFGs (KO/KO2 and KM/KM2) seem to be the default standard, with Cooper coming in perhaps 2nd. Then you get a mix of everything else from Toyo to Nitto to GY to Yokohama, etc.

Ah yes, a good old fashioned tire thread. Next we'll start an oil thread just to keep the post count up!

Old 02-26-2016, 03:16 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by thorgal
Remamber, that I am on East Coast , there is no serious and continuous rock crawling here, there are boulders and rocks, lots of mud , hill climbs, sang and ruts , greenery abounds, unlike a Utah, Arizona and Cali. Lot's of snow and forested roads and water , especially VT, Nj and NH , so no need to show off with rock crawling skills, so to speak..
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a jerk. I should be careful not to turn this into a east v. west thing. Soon we'll be debating which is the baddest wheeling rig, an east coast rock bouncer or a west coast ultra4 buggy. Then you just know somebody will throw in an Icelandic volcano climber just to muddy the waters further. Hmmm...I wonder if a rock bouncer can walk on water like those crazy Icelanders do?

Old 02-26-2016, 03:26 PM
Rock Crawling

11 years later and it's the same struggle. Sure, there are more tire options overall, but in the sizes we need and for off-roading tires, still very few choices.

If Goodyear would make the Kevlar MT/Rs in Load Rating E for the 275/65R18 size, it'd be an easy choice.
Just to prove there's never an easy answer, during my last round of research I had several people telling me the MT/R is great for the first half of it's life then impossible to balance later on. Allegedly due to the asymmetrical tread design.

The MT/R is available in 275/65-18, but only a C load - as noted, pretty light duty for a heavy rig like an LR3. The 275/70-18 is E rated, but that's pretty darn big for a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Snow chains?