LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow / tire chains for LR3

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 01:25 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow / tire chains for LR3

Unfortunately, I need to carry tire chains due to certain laws and restrictions in areas I travel for photography. I was shocked by two things:

1) Land Rover chains at dealer are $900 (I also found them for around $700)
2) The manual says put them on the front tires! The clearance between the tire and suspension parts is only about .5 inches.

Is the manual wrong? Did I miss something? I have already tried two different sets of chains: 1) Cable chains from tirechain.com and 2) RUD Grip (size/part no 141) from Rud Chains.

Can someone who has fitted chains on a LR3 recommend aftermarket tire / snow chains that actually fit and work on an 06 LR3 with the standard 255 60 R18 tires?

I'm not ready to seperate myself from $900 for chains.

Thanks for any help.

Rich
NGOphotographer

Old 02-02-2007, 09:50 PM
4wd Low
Default RE: Snow / tire chains for LR3

Rich - So are you saying the Rud chains did not work? On another forum I saw pictures that showed them as close but fitting...I just purchased a set buy haven't had a chance to fit them...

D.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:27 PM
4wd Low

Dtmelm:

Thanks for the post. Could you let me know where you saw the pictures. I would like to see how close they are in the pictures and compare to my fitting.

I fitted them again this weekend and they seem to touch. I used a mirror and a flashlight and they touch if they move down the tread at all. If they are "high" on the tread, then there is about 1/16" clearance.

Here the detail of what I have/am doing:
1) RUD Grip size 0141
2) Front wheels (stock 18", 255 60 R18); 36lbs inflation
3) Vehicle in off-road height
4) Followed the RUD instructions

Best regards,

Rich
NGOphotographer

Old 02-05-2007, 10:44 PM
4wd Low

Go to this link: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic2...?highlight=rud

If that doesn't work, then go to the disco3 co uk site and do a search for "Rud". It should be the second post...

As mentioned on the other forum you posted, the key is to REALLY cinch them tight...Drive 100 yards, stop and retighten. I have a set but haven't fit them so I'm somewhat going on faith too. I had the Rud chains on my Chevy Avalanche (which had VERY tight clearances on the inner sidewall) and they seemed to work great. Once they were on, they stayed tight and I didn't have any problems.

BTW...What kind of photographer are you? I'm a part-time wedding and portrait photog and also live in NorCal...

Derek

Old 03-01-2007, 09:33 PM
4wd Low

Well, I've ended up with the SCC Chain Z6s (about $100 at vulcantire.com).
www.scc-chain.com

The Z6s have much less clearance, so I feel better about it if I ever need to drive on them. The picture on the link is how mine fit and I felt real uncomfortable.

BTW, I went to the dealer and the chains the dealers sells are German ruds and they are smaller chain links than the chinese made RUDs. That is probably why they are so expensive.

As for photography, I focus on two types: (1) documentary/editorial photography for non-profit and faith-based organizations; (2) large format landscape. Thanks for asking.

Rich
NGOphotographer

Old 12-23-2008, 11:38 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: NGOphotographer

Well, I've ended up with the SCC Chain Z6s (about $100 at vulcantire.com).
www.scc-chain.com

The Z6s have much less clearance, so I feel better about it if I ever need to drive on them.
I'm going to Big Bear Lake this weekend and since chains are required even on 4x4's I had to get some so this is what I got. I tried them on yesterday and I didn't see any clearance problem, however I didn't drive on them. I had no idea this would be an issue as I would expect a vehicle known for its ability to travel just about anywhere would be able to fit available equipment to make it so.

The other issue I didn't know about was fitting chains on the rear tires. I was thinking of buying another set for the rear but I was going to consult the owner's manual prior to doing so. Luckily I read the forum and found out you should never fit chains in the rear. Kind of shocking to me actually as I would want the best possible traction available....

Anyway I love my LR3...

Old 01-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The z chains look like they would be the ticket.
can you run the z chain since it is lower profile on a 285-60-18 if you stay in off road height? I would not use normal height I have the shortened rods so my normal height is off road height. if they wont fit will they fit on a 265-65-18?