LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking noise coming from under the middle of the SUV

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2022 | 11:26 PM
|
Drifting
Default Squeaking noise coming from under the middle of the SUV

Hello, I have a strange squeaking noise that increases in noise and speed as I accelerate. It's not the wheel hubs or brakes. I can hear it directly underneath me. When I drive above 10mph is starts up.

It's not that loud but it is noticeable and very annoying when driving with the windows down. I'm thinking maybe the drive shaft, but not quite sure yet. Anybody else run into this problem?

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2022 | 11:45 AM
Camel Trophy

Did you not look at the drive shaft? There is a center bearing, grab the shaft near it and move it about. There will be some play as the center bearing is with a rubber part. But that rubber part often fails so the shaft can slop around more than it should. Not to mention the center bearing itself can fail.

Old 09-11-2022 | 12:18 PM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Did you not look at the drive shaft? There is a center bearing, grab the shaft near it and move it about. There will be some play as the center bearing is with a rubber part. But that rubber part often fails so the shaft can slop around more than it should. Not to mention the center bearing itself can fail.
Hey DakotaTravler,
Yup your right crawled under there this morning and sure enough the rubber part failed.

Have you or anyone else tried these carrier bearings?

https://www.jxbperformance.com/produ...arrier-upgrade

Thanks

Old 09-11-2022 | 12:27 PM
Camel Trophy

I dunno, at that price maybe better off just replacing the entire shaft. Yeah, a new shaft will cost more but then you have new center bearing, CV and u-joints on the ends which are likely worn at this point. FYI, an OEM brand shaft from Hardy Spicer will be about $400 shipped from LR Direct to the US from the UK. It's not some crap aftermarket shaft that will fail in a year though. So you can try that product, but I dont think it will do much for fixing the sound. Its not a new bearing, its just a bearing carrier. A hunk of fancy metal at best.

Old 09-11-2022 | 12:30 PM
|
Drifting

I dunno, at that price maybe better off just replacing the entire shaft. Yeah, a new shaft will cost more but then you have new center bearing, CV and u-joints on the ends which are likely worn at this point. FYI, an OEM brand shaft from Hardy Spicer will be about $400 shipped from LR Direct to the US from the UK. It's not some crap aftermarket shaft that will fail in a year though. So you can try that product, but I dont think it will do much for fixing the sound. Its not a new bearing, its just a bearing carrier. A hunk of fancy metal at best.
Ah I see. I appreciate the info! I will start looking into a whole new shaft assembly then. Thanks

Old 09-11-2022 | 12:39 PM
Camel Trophy

Just use care when searching, a few US sellers CLAIM to sell an OEM shaft when they are in fact now. Dishonest they are....

Old 09-11-2022 | 01:03 PM
|
Drifting

Just use care when searching, a few US sellers CLAIM to sell an OEM shaft when they are in fact now. Dishonest they are....
Tried to look for the drive shaft on LR. Looks like they stopped selling it.
which option would you choose from these(i dont mind paying for the expensive option either:

https://lucky8llc.com/collections/lr3-driveshafts

https://www.roverparts.com/driveline...afts/LR037027/

Again thanks for all your help!

Best,
Jimmy

Old 09-11-2022 | 01:09 PM
Camel Trophy

They did not stop selling it. I would never buy from Lucky 8 myself, but this is allegedly an OEM shaft. OEM is GKN which is also Hardy Spicer.

https://lucky8llc.com/collections/lr...w-hardy-spicer

The key is the u-joint and how it is pressed in. OEM shaft used press fit joints whereas aftermarket use c-clip joints. Also the welds are different. OEM are very narrow and clean, aftermarket are typically large welds by comparison. LRDirect sells the same shaft as Lucky 8 for $400 shipped (US shipping is $80).

https://www.lrdirect.com/lr037027-propeller-shaft

Old 01-31-2023 | 03:16 PM
5th Gear

I got a good deal on the Land Rover. In the vehicle inspection report I saw that it was better to replace carrier bearings. I replaced the entire shaft and everything was nice.