LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension fault and tire presure sign after flat tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension fault and tire presure sign after flat tire

I really need advice cos i'm new here.Had a rear left flat tire today on my lr3 on way to a friends wedding and had to replace the the tire with my donut spare and i discovered that tire presure sign has poped up and suspension fault is displaying on the dash board with the special program off message. Pls does it mean that the suspension is faulty already cos i just bought the lr3 last month at 45,000 miles, went to replace the tire but the delear asked me to check back tomorrow cos the michelin 255/55 r19 is not available today. Pls i want to know if the signs will go off and my suspension returns to normal if change the donut tire.tnx

Old 09-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default You will get used to the crying.

The 3 is a like a baby with a very limited vocabulary. It is up to the parents to determine if the crying means something important or is just noise.

In your case, I expect about all the nasty messages mean is that your 3 recognizes that something has happened to one of the wheels, a) in this case, no tyre pressure sensor sending info and b), that the OD of the donut is somewhat different than the tyre that is supposed to be there.

I sounds as if you are running the stock tyre size, (255 55 R19), which is good, but do check to see that is what is on the other three wheels. I suspect the donut is the OEM donut, (175 80R 19), so the OD of 30.0" should be about the same and not really cause any fuss, but it sounds like it did.

In time, you will get used to the message centre crying, but it does take time and even once you get used to it, the messages which until you learn how to interpret them can be misleading and annoying.

Any yes, with matching tyres all around and working tyre pressure sensors, the messages should disappear.

Note the I said matching tyres all around - that can be a problem when you have to replace just one tyre - you may have to have the new tyre shaved down to match the other three or more commonly, new tyres all around.

If you think tyres are expensive, try differentials.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:03 AM
Overlanding

Thnks bbyer. Pls does it mean that if i replace the donut tyre with a new one(shaved)that the suspension fault and special program off msge will go off? Yes the other three wheels are 255/55 r19.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Look for a used tyre first.

The odds are that all indications of a problem will disappear a few days after the replacement tyre is successfully installed. I say a "few days" as often, it takes time for the various fault messages to self disappear from the system. That is one reason why the dealers with their T4 setup and owners with say a Faultmate, clear the codes manually after a fix.

I note you spoke of the tyre brand Michelin. May I assume that the tyres you now have on your 3 are the Michelin Latitude Tour HP? If so, the new tread thickness is about 10/32". It seems a shame to be shaving new tyres. As such, if your other tyres are not too worn, do not automatically shave the new one - it just seems a shame. Also look on Kijiji or eBay for a used tyre. It is this situation where installing used makes good sense. Also if you end up installing all new tyres, keep one of the best of the removed ones so you have your own worn spare. The other two you can put on Kijiji and get a few pennies back.

Michelin*Latitude Tour HP Rover&autoYear=2005&autoModel=LR3 HSE&autoModClar=

Old 10-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Overlanding

Pls will used tyre be that safe?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Default If you are lucky, yes.

I bought two used tyres off Kijiji and both had damaged sidewalls which only tend to show up after one has spent the money to mount the tyres on rims. In other words, the two tyres were not safe and I junked them and ate the cost - just the way it is so to speak.

That does not mean all used tyres on Kijiji are junk, but it is possible for the one you purchase to be that way. If instead, you purchase a used tyre from a real tyre dealer with a tyre shop, it is unlikely that there will be a problem and if there is, most often the dealer will make good.

You will find however that used LR tyres, good or otherwise, in the OEM sizes and XL rating are hard to find.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it making alot of noise coming from the LR? If it is you may have stuck the jack underneath the compressor and ruined the compressor. Take a look, if you stuck it on the big plastic box next to the frame instead of the frame you gots to buy a new one. Seen it many a times. Plus you have to buy the mounting frame as well cause they break.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:24 AM
Overlanding

After changine the donut to a new tire the suspention fault refuses to go and the back of my lr3 is down still as the suspension is not working. Pls any idea on how to activate the suspention and special program

Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by freshdew82
After changine the donut to a new tire the suspention fault refuses to go and the back of my lr3 is down still as the suspension is not working. Pls any idea on how to activate the suspention and special program
Did you read Rovin4life's post above? Check your compressor. Any damage? Does the compressor run when you start it up? And what are the faults/codes?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Was the rear tyre on the drivers side?

You can try a hard reset as below as that will sometimes erase trouble codes and allow things to work as they should. In this case however, I do not think it will work as if does seem as if you have compressor or air suspension control problems. Was the tyre that you removed on the drivers side rear? (left side, rear)

If so, as mentioned in the previous posts, it may be that you jacked not on the frame but effectively on the aluminum air compressor bracket hidden under the black plastic air compressor case and the bracket broke. Usually the compressor will still work, but lots of rattling noise comes from within the black plastic cover that is back there. See link at the bottom of this post.

Hard Reset Instructions

In brief, to start the hard reset process, open the hood but close all doors and let your 3 go to sleep - no radio display etc and no key in the ignition. This will take a couple of minutes and do not open any doors until the reset is completed. (I find that it is often a good idea to have the drivers door window rolled down and the key in my pocket whenever fooling about the vehicle.)

Disconnect the ground battery terminal from the main starting battery.
Disconnect the positive battery terminal from the main starting battery.

(I assume that you only have one battery in your 3. If not, disconnect the others as well and leave them disconnected until after all is done.)

Connect the negative cable to the positive cable. (NOT the battery.) You will need a short length, (a foot or so), of light gauge, (14 to 18 gauge AWG, insulated stranded copper), wire to span between the battery cable ends as there is not enough slack in the positive and negative battery cables for the ends to touch each other.

Hold all together for about a minute or more, as you are discharging memory modules within the engine computer and elsewhere. Then it is suggested you just let all sit disconnected for say ten minutes prior to commencing to put the battery cable ends back on the battery posts per the following.

Reattach positive terminal to the main starting battery positive post.
Reattach negative terminal to the main starting battery negative post.

Start engine and hopefully no or fewer warning lights.
Reset time on the radio - note that the station presets are still there as not everything is erased. Nothing much else needs resetting either.

You can now connect up the other batteries if you have a multiple battery setup.

This is a link to a thread in disco3 re the hard reset procedure.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic19547.html

This is a link to a thread on Disco3Club re the hard reset procedure.

http://www.disco3club.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3374

One of the files within the album below shows an air compressor bracket. If the bracket is broken and the air compressor not working, then you will have to find someone who knows how to work on the air system.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Broken Air Compressor RQG500060

Quick Reply: suspension fault and tire presure sign after flat tire