LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TDV6 open heart surgery.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 03:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 219 Likes on 193 Posts
Default TDV6 open heart surgery.

I know you guys don't get the diesels but you might be interested in this.
Back in August i took 5 min drive up the road and back then reversed on my lawn as i usually do, as i stopped the engine ran rough then stalled. I thought it was the fan belt or maybe the tensioner had failed but a quick check and it looked ok.
Next day i stripped the front and reached down to feel the plastic timing cover and i could feel a crack in it, i knew straight away it was the dreaded oil pump tensioner mount failure that had cursed many an owner.
Being in lockdown and working from home i decided that would remove what i could to determine the damage, this problem usually ends in pistons and valves colliding meaning and engine replacement.
After i replaced the damaged pump i re-assembled so i could rotate the assembly to see if it all rotated correctly which it did although i was getting some binding on the LH head camshafts, turned out my exhaust cam was slightly bent.
Not being sure what else may be damaged i sourced a good used camshaft and some bolts which snapped and put it all back together, most of the bolts are TTY so were replaced along with new seals where required.
New timing and fuel pump belt kit from the UK and had it back running again, i think because i was stationary at low revs i was able to save the motor from a major rebuild.
Re-fiiting the cam was the hardest part as there is a pulley that has no keyway so needs to done up to 80NM+90 degrees which cant be done in the motor and it also has a plastic cover and oil seal that goes on behind the pulley.
You'll notice that they have chains to drive the intake cams and the belt to drive the exhaust cams.

Old 11-14-2020, 02:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like a very lucky man, I would go out and buy a lottery ticket. Well done on fixing it.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 219 Likes on 193 Posts

Been over a month now and running as good as ever so that's a big sigh of relief, now onto the maintenance items.

The following users liked this post:
DakotaTravler (11-28-2020)