LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans leak at drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 02:59 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Trans leak at drain plug

Of course, another common issue... Seems as though the only un-common thing is spontaneous combustion. Yet?

If this POS did not have electrical gremlins when caught outside on a cloudy day, I'd likely be a bit more positive about dropping the exhaust and crossmember to just replace it's plastic pan. Oh, I see another leak!... PCH 500962 hose... That's ok, that's just coolant.

Sorry, more rant than an actual question.

(3 to 4 months it's yours for $2000...)

Old 04-25-2016, 04:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

On one hand I don't know that it's all that common...only heard of a few. On the other hand, I wonder how these things happen. What causes them to develop leaks? Operating environment and/or conditions? Operator? I wonder what, if anything, we could each do to prevent leaks.

You removed the EAS, KMET?

Old 04-25-2016, 06:07 PM
Mudding

Far as i've read, it just happens... Some clever people just seal it and tap in a new fitting. Electrical connector sleeve also seems a common culprit. It's an easy fix with pan removed.

Yes, I am a bad person, I removed it's EAS system. It's longer unique, yada yada...

Since we're making vehicle changes anyways, no love lost. I well admit though, nothing beats an Lr3 on snowy highways.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default FYI on Mechatronic sleeve lowest price

When you put in this part number TZV 500010 on ebay the cheapest one I find is about $23, but if you use one from bmw the price is under $9.00. Here's the link.
BMW Valve Body Seal Sealing Sleeve Automatic Transmission Premium Quality 8725 | eBay

Old 04-26-2016, 02:22 PM
Camel Trophy

...doesn't make you a bad person, just makes your LR3 less capable.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:01 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by houm_wa
...doesn't make you a bad person, just makes your LR3 less capable.
Having wheeled with a group of both stock coiled and EAS equipped LR3's. I respectively disagree. ...Unless we're talking towing?

Not saying I'd encourage a coil swap as an improvement over EAS for off-highway use. My decision wrapped around highway reliability for long trips and cruising malls wearing my matching LR cap & t-shirt.

Perhaps because I wheel a modified Jeep, I may be biased.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:08 PM
Camel Trophy

Your Jeep has nothing to do with this discussion.

The LR3's capabilities have a lot to do with the EAS. The articulation...and the cross-link valving that emulates a beam axle. It WORKS. Also, you probably installed some sort of computer sub-system that kills off traction control alerts and such. I have to wonder what capabilities that takes away as it dis-integrates systems that were engineered to work together.

There is no way I'll believe that a coiler would out-perform an an EAS-equipped LR3, comparably equipped, off-road or on-road. Unless I see it, of course. Get up to WA much?

Old 04-27-2016, 01:42 AM
Mudding

For me it does. I'd never punish my wife's beloved Land Rover as I do the Jeep.

I am sure a computer simulated beam axle works... ....Really don't need a computer telling me I'm off camber.

There is no way I'll believe that a coiler would out-perform an an EAS-equipped LR3, comparably equipped, off-road or on-road. Unless I see it, of course.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply coilers out-perform an EAS system. Both struggled, but for different reasons. Fear of damage, some arrogance, likely because their wife screaming "Dont scratch it". Lower door plastic molding does not stand up well.

The stock coiled struggled due to clearance where the others with EAS did not. Off camber parts without EAS was a balance game on 2/3 wheels. Among large loose rocks up hill they both needed straps. Except Jeep.

Last edited by KMET; 04-27-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:24 AM
Mudding

This morning I'll drain it's fluid and examine the drain plug. I'm fairly confident I resolved most of it's electrical gremlins. If it survives the garden hose test, I'll continue with it's other repairs.

Soon, it's going to be just the wife and I (again), so maintaining 4 vehicles and a bike, along with a fleeting desire to off-road, changes are coming.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:36 PM
Camel Trophy

KMET, it sounds like you're just a $hitty driver.

The computer doesn't tell you you're off-camber. It simply acts like a beam axle and does so in a manner that is transparent to you, the driver. Also, there is no need to punish a vehicle off-road (hence the $hitty driver comment). Your Jeep is modified, so any comparison is unfit.

My '05 (with HD) has basic protection (sliders and skid plates) and 32" MT/Rs and it goes EVERYWHERE and does so easily.

Quick Reply: Trans leak at drain plug