LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans slipping every so often

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KMET
Start here...

Discovery LR3 - Cleaning Throttle Body - YouTube

I'd also switch fueling station since your'e from NJ
what does the fuel efficiency have to do with the transmission?

Old 01-15-2022, 12:50 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
OK...for those following and for future reference I figured out the problem! I kept going back to the fact that I didn't think it was mechanical/fluid related as there were no leaks and it was sporadic. The fact that it didn't do it in sport mode, made me think it was computer related, but nothing I could find lead me to find reasons why it wouldn't in sport but would in regular even if computer related.
So, I took it out today and came to a stoplight. Now, my daily drivers and toys have always been manual transmissions. I'm just an enthusiast, and like to row my own gears especially in a sports car. My hand will go to the shifter at a stop out of pure muscle memory. I happened to look down at the dash to see the outside temp as it was hot out, and noticed for a split second the "D" went away and then came back. Well holy crap... smoking gun. I'm guessing the linkage is a little wore or something is out of adjustment, as if I just put the SLIGHTEST pressure on the shifter forward it comes out of drive and into neutral. It has happened when not touching it either though, but just the force of coming to a stop gives it enough momentum to come out.
So, for those that might have the same thing, go out to the driveway and test it. Just put the slightest pressure on the shifter and see if you lose the D.
Case closed on this one, now to figure out how to adjust it. Also, if someone can tell me, does their shifter "click" into Drive or just go down to it. Also, can you shift to N without pressing the button. Thanks!
I Know this is a little bit of an old thread but I'm experiencing the same issue '10 LR4 @ 187k. Was there any resolution or confirmation that it was indeed caused by slipping in and out of N?

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2022, 01:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by drasster@gmail.com
what does the fuel efficiency have to do with the transmission?
A lot.