LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission drain and fill

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 01:56 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abran

if you do the pan, make sure to use a genuine ZF filter, change the Mechatronics sleeve, convert to metal pan, and the most important… use this pan gasket.

TOS 18753, felpro

It’s aluminum crush material with an over molded rubber gasket type edge.
While admittedly some have had success with the Felpro gasket I did not. I provided the felpro to the shop doing the pan swap and had weeping from the corners and a few side bolts. Re-verified the torque and still weeping from three locations. Dropped the pan again and installed the Duraprene gasket that came with the kit and no leak since. Note the Duraprene gasket is not the paper gasket that comes with some kits. As the metal pans have a raised bead running the center of the lip and around all bolt holes, in my view it can create difficulty to get a proper seal with a metal gasket where the silicone bead is well on the inside.

I suppose one advantage of my experience was I likely got 90% of the old fluid out between the initial 2 drain/fills and the unplanned 3rd.

Old 09-03-2023, 09:02 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanR.
While admittedly some have had success with the Felpro gasket I did not.
My experience has been the opposite. I don’t use the factory torque spec though, as I don’t think it applies once you use a different pan, gasket. And bolts.

Unfortunately I’ve never verified what I torque the bolts too, it’s all feel. I use a small 1/4” drive ratchet with a 6” extension and a u joint socket, this helps to keep the torque down so I don’t break any bolts. My guess is adding a few turns would have stopped the leaks.

But if the Duraprene worked for you, that’s all that matters!

Old 09-03-2023, 11:40 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
My experience has been the opposite. I don’t use the factory torque spec though, as I don’t think it applies once you use a different pan, gasket. And bolts.
In my case I did go with the higher torque spec as recommended by ZF when using the metal pan. Believe it was 12nm in lieu of the standard 10nm. May have even given them a little more of a tweak than that closer to 14nm as per the Ford specs but as they are small bolts and threaded into aluminum did not want to risk stripping out a hole. Wish the Felpro had worked out for me would have saved a lot of shop time. I had even picked up a second Felpro gasket in case we had knackered the first but no signs of damage to it when we dropped the pan the second time so opted to try the Duraphene and it held.

Anyway glad that project is done, should be good for a while.

Old 09-03-2023, 08:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts

That works... unless the truck didn't have the correct level to begin with....
And with the correct amount of fluid it will come pouring out a lot more on a cold fill than a hot one, making it difficult to actually get the right amount in. The transmission/engine running and the hotter fluid lowers the fluid level in the pan.

Originally Posted by loanrangie
Correction , you don't drain and fill on a hot car you only need it up to temp to check the fluid level. If you drain the fluid then refill by the same amount you will be within 0.1L of the correct level.

Old 09-04-2023, 07:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 215 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by LRohio
The initial drain and fill is on a cold car but every video I’ve seen shows a topping off of 3-4 quarts and replacement of the fill plug in a running car. The fill plug replacement on a running car has me nervous. They all lead you to believe if you let the car coil fluid will come rushing out and won’t be at the right level. Every other drain and/or pan drop on every other vehicle I’ve done has simply been turning the engine on and cycling through the gears and then turning off and tipping off. I just don’t get it.

Every model has a maintenance repair that is needlessly a PITA. For my F150, it was spark plugs. For the LR3 it’s the transmission.
Thats why i said you check the level when up to the required temp but you can drain and fill it cold so no issue of hot fluid burning you.

Old 09-04-2023, 07:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 215 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by tracyc
That works... unless the truck didn't have the correct level to begin with....
And with the correct amount of fluid it will come pouring out a lot more on a cold fill than a hot one, making it difficult to actually get the right amount in. The transmission/engine running and the hotter fluid lowers the fluid level in the pan.
The difference is SFA and is corrected when you check the level, its really not that hard.

Old 09-05-2023, 11:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So after checking about 20 LR/euro/transmission shops with no avail, I called my independent shop and they agreed to look at the car for the conversion. They quoted me $550 max labor with me supplying the parts/fluid from Atlantic British. I’m going that route. This is a high volume mechanic owned shop and one of the mechanics specializes in transmission work.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

Old 09-05-2023, 11:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by loanrangie
The difference is SFA and is corrected when you check the level, its really not that hard.
How do you check for proper level? Is fluid supposed to dribble out of the fill hole with the engine running after you have gone through PRND selections?

Old 09-05-2023, 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

Basically, yes. Small stream at 40ºC (105ºF).

The following users liked this post:
Gordo51 (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 06:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by douglastic
Basically, yes. Small stream at 40ºC (105ºF).
…..and this is why I’m going to pay someone else with a lift to do this. I have zero desire to be under a hot car on stands in a driveway trying to put a fill plug in a hole with fluid coming out in a tiny space.

Quick Reply: Transmission drain and fill