LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fault. Guidance. Again.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014 | 07:01 AM
|
Mudding
Default Transmission Fault. Guidance. Again.

Gents:

I've posted before about some rough shifting I experience from 1/2 and 2/3.

I know about the software issue and i "believe" my software was updated a while back from Rover, however, from what i read on here, that jerk in the shifting was exclusive to first into second, where I experience it into 3rd gear as well.

Second thing was tranny fluid which I had my indy do. He did. I watched. And it looked a little different that I've seen on youtube. (Truck not horizontal - he jacked one corner up. No read on oil temp. And he did add 4/5 quarts from what I remember but not sure how he could have known if it was full properly without the car horizontal. And last but not least, He didn't really run through the gears at all).

Aside from the jerking, here is the pattern.

When it cold, if I don't let the car warm up for a bit (like ten minutes or so), When I throw her in Reverse, the car will seem sluggish (As if the idle engine speed isn't enough to get me going). I'll then step on the gas a bit and, "Transmission Fault. Limited Gears Available".

So, I pull out of my spot so I no longer need reverse. Shut off. Turn on. Into Drive. Tranny fault gone. So, the fault seems exclusive to reverse, in the cold.

About every TEN times I do this, It WILL throw the check engine light, but not consistently.

I am taking her back this week for another glance, but some thoughts would be appreciated. I'm not sure if it's a fluid issue, an adaptatation issue, a software issue, or an actual mechanical tranny issue. Help!

Appreciate it.

P.S., - the jerking int he shifting DOES get a better when car is fully warm.

Old 02-22-2014 | 04:00 PM
Winching

I wouldn't chase anything else until the codes from the TCM are read out. If it is setting a fault, then it is seeing something is not right and often times, transmissions will react to such faults that can cause poor shifting. The error message and shifting are most likely related and will serve as another clue to the problem.

I'm not sure why the mechanic would fill the trans with the vehicle not level. Depending on which side was raised, would cause an under or over fill condition.

Old 02-22-2014 | 06:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, first off, the exact procedure for filling with temperature per spec. is required. There is a manual for that, PM me with e-mail and I'll get you some info if it helps.

I 2nd getting the error codes read.

The megatronics can go out on these. Too early to tell, another fellow in Canada is having a similar problem with 1st gear, and the end result was swap the transmission. I know of an outfit that had two used ones fairly priced.

Old 03-03-2014 | 09:53 PM
|
Mudding

Well, Rover went to indy. I'm in shock a bit. The car goes from shifting terribly hard from 1/2 2/3, and slipping in low gears/high gears, to come back to me shifting pretty perfectly (which the exception of some slight hesitation from 1/2). It almost seems too good to be true. He said he re-set the adaptations and re-filled the oil (second time). He also did the plugs and the belts, and the front EAS solenoid block. If anyone looking for a indy in North Jersey, my guys been pretty decent to me.