LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fault P081C driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 07:19 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Transmission Fault P081C driving me nuts

I've recently purchased a one owner 2006 LR3 that is in otherwise perfect shape. The trans works properly but the "D" is always illuminated, the sport or manual shifting does not work and as soon as I put it in drive I get a transmission fault on the dash. My code reader shows P081C and after clearing will immediately appear as soon as I put it in drive. The gear indicator on the dash shows the proper gear, It's just the shifter indicator that shows "D" all the time even when the key is off. I assumed someone had spilled something on the console, but when I disassembled it and cleaned all the contacts they were as new. Looking back on the service records I have since new the shifter was replaced about 15k ago. I checked the shifter linkage on the trans which also looked like new, with absolutely no corrosion. I checked all the fuses. I inspected and soldered all the crimp connectors with the blue tape on the wire loom in the passenger footwell and found no corrosion. The sunroof drain is draining properly outside and there is no deterioration of the rubber fitting behind the side vent. The battery is brand new Bosch AGM bought last week. Does anyone have any suggestion on what I check next? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-29-2019, 09:16 AM
Overlanding
Default Figured it out, it was the shifter.

I was hesitant to replace the shifter because I found a receipt for a new one installed around 20k miles ago, but after running out of other possible causes, I bought a new one and it solved my problem. There is a new part number for it and two older ones so I hope it has been improved. Anyway, if the "D" on the shifter stays illuminated no matter what, sport and manual mode don't work and you get a transmission fault when you shift into drive, you may have a bad shift assembly.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:39 PM
4wd High

Anyone have a solution to this problem? Exact same issue on 2006 Ranger Rover Sport HSE. Anytime the gear shifter is moved from Neutral into Drive, the error code P081C pops along with the error message Transmission Fault on the dash.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:41 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok Im not familiar with either vehicle However I did look up your code. It is a fuel pressure fault. Modern traction control ties the transmision to the engine in order to control power delivery when your traction is lost. I have seen codes thrown in transmissions before in other makes as a result of engine faults. It isnt a fault in the tranny. It is just that the computer for the tranny is telling you it cant control the engine correctly. If I were to guess, I would say that the seals are gone in the fuel pump causing a pressure issue. The code is for the fuel rail pressure sensor it may be wise to test it. It is a 5 volt sensor so check that. It may be the sensor or its the sensor complaining about the low pressure. There will be a port on the fuel rail for connecting a pressure gauge that will allow you to test the delivery pressure and thus help diagnose the pump. Fuel in the rail with boil at operating temps if the pressure is too low so you might find that this happens more when the engine is hot than cold. Any body out there know off hand what the rail pressure should be?

Old 04-20-2019, 09:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 710 Likes on 598 Posts

Fuel pressure fault? Code P081C is a park input circuit failure. It is a problem with the "neutral safety switch". Reminds me of my Mark VIII days, very common issue.

Anyway, turn the headlights on manually before starting the truck as see if you have the same issue.

Last edited by DakotaTravler; 04-20-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:18 AM
Drifting

Wow ! Sorry. I guess there is more than one fault in Alldata or as we like to call it Some data ! Im having all sorts of little problems popping up like this since I started working on landrovers here. Even my scanner is letting me down getting into some systems. really sorry. I was genuinely mislead.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 710 Likes on 598 Posts

Its not Alldata, you read it wrong or looked it up wrong. P018C is fuel related, not P081C.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:21 AM
Drifting

Ahh there it is. wow still my bad sorry

Old 04-21-2019, 11:28 AM
Drifting

Funny enough, when I first read it, I was thinking it was an alignment issue between the new switch and the trans selector rod as it had been replaced recently. The computer will keep saying its wrong even if the switch is fine if its not set correctly. Your fault tree..."Potentially Incorrectly set Gear selector Cable". Then of course I looked it up and went off on a tangent lol.Add a few miles worth of stretch to a new cable and suddenly it doesn't line up.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:34 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by pkomorowski
Anyone have a solution to this problem? Exact same issue on 2006 Ranger Rover Sport HSE. Anytime the gear shifter is moved from Neutral into Drive, the error code P081C pops along with the error message Transmission Fault on the dash.
Yes, in my case the solution was the shifter assembly. Replaced that and the "Trans Fault", "D" always illuminated, and lack of sport or manual mode and codes went away.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fault P081C driving me nuts