LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Mysteries

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 03:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

Fluid does expand, but not that much. Also so does the transmission housing itself, that is it expands. Oil expansion is about 0.00039% per degree F. At 175 degrees you are talking about 7% expansion. There are 10 quarts of oil in the ZF trans for the LR3. (it take 6 or 7 to refill because of the fluid stuck in the TC). Can a half quart spread over the area of the transmission body make that big a difference? I know with my BMW ZF trans this would not be an issue.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 105 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Fluid does expand, but not that much. Also so does the transmission housing itself, that is it expands. Oil expansion is about 0.00039% per degree F. At 175 degrees you are talking about 7% expansion. There are 10 quarts of oil in the ZF trans for the LR3. (it take 6 or 7 to refill because of the fluid stuck in the TC). Can a half quart spread over the area of the transmission body make that big a difference? I know with my BMW ZF trans this would not be an issue.
That may be true, but the fill procedure specifically mentions a temp to reach before plugging.

Why mention if it didn't matter?

Unless the temp is not for volume, but some other reason: Like torquing the drain plug on a heat-expanded pan and not a cold one?
I just assumed it was for correct volume I guess.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:54 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Identamerican
It did in fact show solenoid amperage. Everything looked solid. I don't expect anyone to guess, I was simply hoping someone in their years of experience may have encountered similar circumstances as I have.

As for the GAP IID, if you show me where I can get one for less than an arm and a leg I'd be happy to purchase one, but unless the problem continues to persist in the next few weeks I will be perfectly happy to continue borrowing my friends diagnostic equipment from his shop.
"everything look solid" What were the actual readings? Does his tool actually display them while driving? Have you recorded them?
It's a 300K mile ZF transmission. You cannot expect another mile out of this transmission, highway miles or not. Bushings wearing, bearings spinning, valves opening and closing, clutches wearing, etc, etc still happen even on the highway.
This truck is driven by electronic modules... EVERYWHERE and they all talk to each other. If one sensor isn't happy, it'll broadcast to many other modules that may show up as completely different issues than the original. If you can't/won't get a tool (specific designed for the LR3 software) to help yourself diagnose your particular situation you are going to be in for a rough time trying to repair your LR3.
Here is a sample of the transmission solenoid readings. They change while you drive and the transmission shifts. I would suggest you record them as they change and what they are in different gears and come back with the info so we compare with what's known to be "normal".

Old 04-05-2019, 01:08 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, completely new to any forums, so sorry if Im In the wrong place or talking about something that has already been talked about etc....

have some diff and transmission questions/queries please.
if anyone with very good 1st hand experience is willing to have a chat please get in touch.
kind regs

w

disco 3 2.7tdv6
3 td5’s before.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

Very wrong place, start a new thread with any question you have please and thanks.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:44 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well fellas, looks like the fluid/filter change knocked out the problem. Not as soon as I did it, but after driving about two hundred miles I am having no more throttle hunting/surging/whatever you want to call it no matter what mode or gear I'm in. Maybe it will go another 300K miles. I'll get an IID tool, but thats third on the list after a new alternator and hunting down the exhaust leak from where I chopped up the exhaust while changing the pan/filter. I suppose I'm pretty lucky that as of now it was a reasonably simple fix, we'll see if it lasts. In the meantime, I think after those three things are done I'll raise it up a few inches and get another set of rims I can slap some decent off road tires on.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

Hopefully you get many more miles out of it.