Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Gear too long

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 08:07 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts
Default 1st Gear too long

Hi
Just wondering what could possibly be wrong. I realized that its takes a long time to change from 1st gear to the next when accelerating from stop. The RPM goes high too. Sometimes it shifts and sometimes stays on first gear. If I move the gear to 2nd or 3rd then D, its works fine again. Any thoughts? Thanks

Old 01-29-2016, 08:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Hi
Just wondering what could possibly be wrong. I realized that its takes a long time to change from 1st gear to the next when accelerating from stop. The RPM goes high too. Sometimes it shifts and sometimes stays on first gear. If I move the gear to 2nd or 3rd then D, its works fine again. Any thoughts? Thanks
1st thing is check AT fluid level and quality? Got any leaks down there? Have you changed it recently?

Old 01-29-2016, 10:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

I've been having the same issue ever since I got my truck back on the road. It's getting somewhat better, but also worse. I've got no leaks, my fluid was changed 20k ago so it's not new but it's also not really THAT old. Hasn't been overheated. Might be a good time for me to drop the one out of my donor truck and learn to rebuild an automatic trans, just in case. The weird thing is that its only started happening since I replaced my crank sensor and finished up my exhaust.

I did get the M and S lights flashing the other night. I was in about 12-15" of snow and was laying into the gas to get moving. I was going slow, but the tires were spinning pretty good. That might've been the instance that I heard a clunk, can't remember exactly. I finished getting back into the tracks, cut it off, turned it back on, no issue other than still shifting slow.

I also experienced today, while it was still cold upon first startup, pulling onto the road at light-medium throttle when it shifted to second it stayed between gears quite a while, clunked hard to second, went back in between gears, and then eased back into second. That doesn't make me too happy. If I lose a trans and have to buy a trans jack after all the work I've just put in I'm gonna be pissed.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

1st thing is check AT fluid level and quality
+ one on that particulalyr is not serviced recently?

Any fault codes active/pending or more?

Last edited by number9; 01-29-2016 at 11:23 PM. Reason: spelling/finger
Old 01-31-2016, 10:26 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I've been having the same issue ever since I got my truck back on the road. It's getting somewhat better, but also worse. I've got no leaks, my fluid was changed 20k ago so it's not new but it's also not really THAT old. Hasn't been overheated. Might be a good time for me to drop the one out of my donor truck and learn to rebuild an automatic trans, just in case. The weird thing is that its only started happening since I replaced my crank sensor and finished up my exhaust.

I did get the M and S lights flashing the other night. I was in about 12-15" of snow and was laying into the gas to get moving. I was going slow, but the tires were spinning pretty good. That might've been the instance that I heard a clunk, can't remember exactly. I finished getting back into the tracks, cut it off, turned it back on, no issue other than still shifting slow.

I also experienced today, while it was still cold upon first startup, pulling onto the road at light-medium throttle when it shifted to second it stayed between gears quite a while, clunked hard to second, went back in between gears, and then eased back into second. That doesn't make me too happy. If I lose a trans and have to buy a trans jack after all the work I've just put in I'm gonna be pissed.

Hi Alex, Were you able to fix your problem? I dont have any fault codes at the moment but I'll have my fluid check this coming friday.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Hi
Are you just now noticing this, or has it been this way since the weather started getting colder?

Old 01-31-2016, 11:07 PM
Camel Trophy

My truck sat for a couple of days. I washed it today, removed the front bumper cover, and then drove it an hour back to school. No issue. It could be that the weather is warmer(ish) again or it could be the fact that I washed it. I'm going with the cleanliness.

Try washing your truck, if that doesn't work then it could be the weather as chubbs suggested.

On a serious note, I don't recall my truck doing this last winter. Or at least not as bad. I could be wrong, but I'll probably begin work on that extra trans to be safe as well as changing my trans fluid. I checked it today it and looks more light burgundy than blood red.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

I didn't have any kind of issues when it was warm outside but after it started getting down in the 50s I began posting that it wouldn't go from 3rd to 4 when I left out at 6am. I figured out pretty quick to let it warm all the way up and then I wouldn't have any trouble. But then as it started getting down in the 30s, I now have to let it get all the way up to operating temp, drive around for a few in 3rd to get the fluid warm and then I can think about putting it into drive so that I can get on the highway. Complete PITA. Someone suggested faulty trans pump, but idk. That seems like it would be all or none. She's like me, doesn't like cold air.

In seriousness Alex I'm leaning towards warmer air temps and not a car wash. So what was wrong with it? That connection that you jacked up? What flavor are you smoking that makes you forget if your transmission was working last year? Every used Disco being sold should come with an ounce of it.

Last edited by chubbs878; 02-01-2016 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:33 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

check the fluid and make sure it not in sport mode

Old 02-01-2016, 08:46 AM
Camel Trophy

Well I don't smoke any suspicious flavors any more, but sometimes I wonder if it might help I believe it worked right last year, but I didn't watch every little thing as close then, and of course I was extra on the look out because of the trouble I had just had.

Yes, in seriousness I find the clean car unlikely. The only issue I know of that is fixed by washing your vehicle is ABS sensors. Haha. Truth be told, I have no idea what the issue was a week and a half ago. I replaced the CKP, the CKP harness up to the harness tee in the engine bay (with shielded coax cable), and the fuse box with the one out of my parts truck. I've got no idea which fixed it, all I know is it runs now and I don't question it too much. Haha.

As far as the trans issues, like you I don't get the long gear changes until down in the mid 30s to low 40s from what I can tell. It was low 50s yesterday and seemed to work perfectly, but it's possible (likely) that its one of those issues that just get worse over time.