LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Shifting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014 | 11:54 AM
|
Overlanding
Default Transmission Shifting Problem

This issue is a little perplexing to me. On various days, my LR3 is having some shifting problems. On occasions, typically first thing in the AM, after my first stop at a red light, the truck will start out in third gear. Once I get up to speed, it will shift into fourth as required. After I stop again, the truck goes back to first gear and is fine for the rest of the trip. Any idea on what this may be? I let the truck warm up for about 5-10 minutes in 30 degree weather.

Old 02-26-2014 | 10:17 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by tbendekovits
This issue is a little perplexing to me. On various days, my LR3 is having some shifting problems. On occasions, typically first thing in the AM, after my first stop at a red light, the truck will start out in third gear. Once I get up to speed, it will shift into fourth as required. After I stop again, the truck goes back to first gear and is fine for the rest of the trip. Any idea on what this may be? I let the truck warm up for about 5-10 minutes in 30 degree weather.
Only thing I can tell you is you need to stop letting the truck sit there warming up. It benefits nothing and is worse on the engine to idle cold under no load.

How many miles and when was last transmission service?

Old 02-26-2014 | 10:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Another possibility.

Are you in a rust belt? The shift lever / assembly is a known issue due to corrosion.

Old 02-26-2014 | 10:35 AM
Camel Trophy

My question: How do you know precisely which gear the vehicle is starting out at after the stop?

Old 02-26-2014 | 12:15 PM
|
Overlanding

Not sure when granny was serviced last. Waiting on the private mechanic to get back from"vacation". I live on the East Coast about 2 hours from the ocean so rust. Possibly. On occasions, I have to push the gear shift back to get into gear. As for knowing what gear. I do t actually know. I assumed because of how bad it lags trying to get up to speed. Around 30-40 is when it feels normal

Old 02-26-2014 | 01:25 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by tbendekovits
Not sure when granny was serviced last. Waiting on the private mechanic to get back from"vacation". I live on the East Coast about 2 hours from the ocean so rust. Possibly. On occasions, I have to push the gear shift back to get into gear. As for knowing what gear. I do t actually know. I assumed because of how bad it lags trying to get up to speed. Around 30-40 is when it feels normal

Have you tried it in gear select mode? Force start from 1st gear to see if the lag exists there? If still there I'd say its high time for a service.

Old 02-26-2014 | 03:12 PM
Camel Trophy

Good point. If it's a "lag" then there is a DIY "tune" you can do by putting the ignition in position II and holding the throttle to the floor for 5 or 10 seconds (I don't remember which) and then removing your key and letting the LR3 go to "sleep."

...don't ask me why this works; it just does!

Old 02-26-2014 | 10:00 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Good point. If it's a "lag" then there is a DIY "tune" you can do by putting the ignition in position II and holding the throttle to the floor for 5 or 10 seconds (I don't remember which) and then removing your key and letting the LR3 go to "sleep."

...don't ask me why this works; it just does!
Good chance it's an alignment or relearn command. Find more if you can because mine can use this.

Old 02-27-2014 | 04:00 PM
Camel Trophy

There's not much more to find...that's how you do it.

Old 02-27-2014 | 07:27 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by houm_wa
There's not much more to find...that's how you do it.
Well when you say you don't remember which, it makes me think your not sure.

Quick Reply: Transmission Shifting Problem