LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper Control Arm bushing shot

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2023, 09:11 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Dakota,

i noticed on your list that you recommended to replace the ball joints. Assuming mine are original, if I’m going in to replace control arms but not the knuckles, should I replace the ball joints?

Old 07-08-2023, 09:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

Usually the control arms come with new ball joints preinstalled. My warning on pinching the lower ball joint boot is in general, because it can be pinched on install too when the knuckle is being put back in place and allowed to wing out too far - such as when the half shafts are going back in.

Old 07-08-2023, 09:27 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahhh I see ok. It’s the ball joint on the control arm. I thought the nuckle might have its own ball joint. Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.

I’ll not to take care with the control arm not to wing it out too far. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2023, 09:29 AM
Camel Trophy

The ball joint is pressed into the lower arm and mounts to the knuckle.

Old 07-08-2023, 02:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes, it can make suspension work easier with the air out of the struts, but since a mechanic is doing this for the poster, I assumed he could figure it out. However, there is no need to do it in order not to damage or trigger errors in the air suspension system - that's how I understood that question as many people assume special procedures are needed when lifting these.

I suppose if the upper arm bushings were *really* shot, then a calibration could be helpful after changing control arms, but I've never found it necessary. A millimeter or three difference in suspension height before/after at any particular wheel is inconsequential imho. Yes, the manual says to calibrate after replacing upper arms, so do that if you want, but if the ride height is good and even after the work, no need for it.

For sure, easiest to replace complete control arm assemblies - cheaper too when paying for the work vs transferring old ones to new arms etc....

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
ideally you deflate the suspension then disable it. Deflation helps being able to compress the struts and disabling will prevent the system from attempting to adjust while working on it. In some ways though you can lift the rig and the truck may try to deflate the bags on its own as it wants to bring the wheels back into position - in this case, upwards. You will certainly need a calibration when replacing the suspension bits, mainly because of the upper arms which have a attachment point for the height sensor - this warning, abut needing a calibration, is outlined in the shop manual also. So once the work is done, the truck may sit a little differently which is okay - just recalibrate to spec a couple times and you are good to go.

The biggest issues in swapping will be front lower arms and rear uppers which typically have to have the bolts sawed off *** they end up fused within the bushing core. This is why buying all new mounting hardware is recommenced. The front uppers are usually never an issue - just hard to get to since you have to work from below and the engine bay. The rear uppers can be a pain to get into also but not the worst. One thing some people do is to simply cuts the lower arms themselves close to the mounting bolts that need to be cut. Then the bulky hardware is out of the way. Spelling of which, when I did mine I removed them as an entire unit. Meaning I undid the front uppers at the body and the lowers at the frame. Remove the tie rods. Then pulled the whole thing out as a unit to remove the knuckle. But if one is NOT replacing the lower ball joint on the front knuckles, care must be taken as over extending the components can pinch the lower ball joint boot and thus expose it to water, dirt. The rears I used the same method to remove, one whole assembly.

Last edited by tracyc; 07-08-2023 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-08-2023, 03:56 PM
Camel Trophy

Noting to do with bushings, per say, more to do with geometry. The height sensor rod at upper control arm may not be in the same exact spot as the last. A millimeter off on this point can translate to several when it comes to height. The sensors are not 1:1 when it comes to relative height. And really, any control arm change can result in suspension geometry change anyway, so calibration is always best. When I rebuilt my front end with all new OEM stuff, it leaned into the driver corner. Calibration got it back to where I had it set, 1.5" above stock.

Old 07-08-2023, 09:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts

Yeah, I know it might be required - certainly a good idea to check heights all around afterward - I've just never needed to recalibrate after upper arm replacement personally.