LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US LR3 vs. German Disco 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 07:04 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US LR3 vs. German Disco 3

I am moving from Arizona to Berlin, and I am planning to bring my LR3 with me.

Does anyone know where I can conclusively find out what alterations are required in order to bring my US LR3 up to spec with German regulations?

Alternatively, is there a place that I can get a side-by-side list of features from the US model to the German model?

It's a Model Year 2006 base package V6 (gas).

Thanks in advancefor any help or advice!!!

Old 04-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: US LR3 vs. German Disco 3

AFAIK usually EU -> US conversion involves much more than US ->EU due to tougher US restrictions on emissions and collision damage, and I bet for LR3 non is required for latter. One issue may be front lights, but I have a strong feeling US LR3 have EU light pattern despite DOT markings (if any).

As far as trims/options, you can compare US and UK websites. LR3 is relatively low prod.volume vehicle, soI bet Ford would have minimal market variations to keep the production costs low.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:56 AM
hcj
2nd Gear
Default RE: US LR3 vs. German Disco 3

I don't own an LR3 yet, but I lived in Germany for 3 years and am a bit neurotic in that I think the ECE cars are "better" than the DOT cars (mostly headlamps). So I've done some reasearch on this issue re my 944 Turbo, and know the difference between the MB E320 I had in Berlin vs the E320 I have in the States (identical cars).

I suspect they won't make you change out the instrument cluster (speedometer & odometer). But there may be an issue, since it will show fewer "km" if displaying miles. You might be able to get into the Body Control Module to change it over to metric in this regard.

DOT headlamps are generally not ECE compliant (the US beam pattern throws a lot of light above horizontal, to illuminate overhead signs on the highway, while the ECE requires a razor sharp cutoff with far less light above horizontal to cut glare. Coming back to the US you notice a HUGE difference in glare). Check for an "E1" inside a circle on the headlamp lens. If you have halogen headlamps, you'll need to retrofit the headlamp aim adjuster (although perhaps not given that the vehicle has a self-leveling suspension). Likewise for the HID lamps, but this is usually standard. You'll need a rear fog lamp if the LR3 doesn't have it. The wiring is likely there, you'll just need a switch and a bulb.

If the LR3 doesn't have the parking lights within the high beam, you'll need to add that as well. In Germany, when the car is running with the tail lights lit but without headlamps (i.e. "parking lights"), the front lights have to be white, not yellow (like newer Mercedes-Benz cars). You'll also need the parking light function if the LR3 doesn't have it. This allows you to turn on one side or the other's white front light and red tail light, required when parking on a dark street at night (illuminating the street side of the car's lamps). If the front facing marker lamp is yellow, this will need to be disabled.

All of this might be programmable through the Central Body Controller. On my 944 Turbo, therewas a separate "bridge" circuit that could be swapped out for different country regulations (i.e. USA vs. Switzerland vs. Australia).

(The good news: You can turn on the telephone function on your radio & have real hands-free operation.)

European lamps may still require glass lenses. (Plastic will fog over time.)

It is illegal to have yellow and red reflectors on the sides of European cars. These will need to be blacked out, if not removed entirely. I believe the LR3 has side turn signal repeaters.

Almost certainly the LR3 is a world car with respect to crash worthiness and emissions. Should be no issue there, although if you were importing it into the USA, you wouldn't be able to.

The radio won't work right. In Europe, they use all the decimals for FM stations (i.e. in USA, 103.1, 103.3, while in Europe 102.2, etc.). Your radio will also need the ARI receiver, I suspect (when the radio is on, the program is interrupted for traffic reports).

You'll also need to get a TUV or Dekra inspection to put the car on the road. Any aftermarket bits you've installed have to have the TUV paperwork, or they need to be removed. For example, if you've installed a bull bar, you'll need the TUV document with you at all times to prove the car is road worthy with this item (probably not, since it will no longer comply with pedestrian crash test requirements). The vehicle inspections are extremely rigorous and thorough.

Hope this helps.