LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 LR3 Expert Opinions, Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

They have their issues just like anything else. So far though they have been pretty good all in all as far as reliability goes.

the 07 had to be towed home, blew the bleeder valve T cheap easy fix.

Other than that its really just staying up on maintenance, the downside is how much deferred maintenance that needs to be done when you get one used. By deferred I mean previous owner didn't care enough to do it.

Both of mine I have basically bought site unseen and drove them home 700+ miles. Here in Augusta the used rover market is very small and way over priced.

They both now have over 130k on their clocks. The 07 is the higher end of the 2 with a lot of options. The 06 is the base model v8. Neither have the HD package, one is a off road/Daily Drive the other is a mall crawler.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
They have their issues just like anything else. So far though they have been pretty good all in all as far as reliability goes.

the 07 had to be towed home, blew the bleeder valve T cheap easy fix.

Other than that its really just staying up on maintenance, the downside is how much deferred maintenance that needs to be done when you get one used. By deferred I mean previous owner didn't care enough to do it.

Both of mine I have basically bought site unseen and drove them home 700+ miles. Here in Augusta the used rover market is very small and way over priced.

They both now have over 130k on their clocks. The 07 is the higher end of the 2 with a lot of options. The 06 is the base model v8. Neither have the HD package, one is a off road/Daily Drive the other is a mall crawler.
Very nice. It can be nerve wracking buying a car sight unseen. Is that bleeder valve the same thing as the Heater T that I kept reading about? Yea, every used car, though, typically needs $1k-$2k in PM done. There are not many people who do a ton of service, just to sell the car.

The V6 LR3 I plan on getting was literally just at the dealership, this month, where the bill was nearly $5k. Really, that was only for the air suspension issues. Odd, though, because the owner did not service the car at the dealer, typically.

It sounds like you know a lot more about LR's than I do. I am trying to learn quickly, but there is a lot to digest. Quick question. What would you guess, roughly, a 2006 V6 w/ 100k miles should go for...rough ball park? It is in solid condition, no glaring issues. It seems prices vary, but I did read a thread with someone saying "No one wants a v6", so maybe that means I should pass, or be paying less.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Not that I know more I've just been around Rovers in general longer. Hell I remember saying the LR3 and L322 were the death of Land Rover as we know it.

The heater T could be the bleeder, it's a crappy plastic T that gets brittle with age. I replaced it with brass bits from home depot on both LR3's

I honestly believe now that the LR3 is the Rover that all off road/daily drive type people should start with.

They have issues of course but so far nothing that is not manageable with a good tool set and a GAP IID tool.

Your saying you would have to pony up 4k more to get the V8 and by going north I only spent a bit more than 4k to get the 07.

For me though being honest if you really like the v6 go for it. In my mind the LR3 is a big girl, and all 300hp of Jaguar goodness that V8 puts out is not something I would be willing to go without. I know I wouldn't trade either of them for the 6 cyl.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 11-06-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:12 PM
Overlanding

Not that I know more I've just been around Rovers in general longer. Hell I remember saying the LR3 and L322 were the death of Land Rover as we know it.

I honestly believe now that the LR3 is the Rover that all off road/daily drive type people should start with.

They have issues of course but so far nothing that is not manageable with a good tool set and a GAP IID tool.

Your saying you would have to pony up 4k more to get the V8 and by going north I only spent a bit more than 4k to get the 07.
Wow, you got an 07' for only 4k, total? That is quite a deal. Yea, all the other LR3's around, with any mileage close to 100k, are easily 4k more. What I like about the V6 is that it literally just had the air compressor changed, and the 2 front air struts, both relatively major work, from what I have read. I cannot imagine there are too many other issues, at least common issues, that run $4k+ at the dealer, unless I am completely off base on that.

Maybe I should expand my search, but I have always liked to meet the owners, and speak to them directly. Get a sense for how their ownership has been. I find, often, that a car that has been reliable, will remain so, whereas one that has had constant issues, often will continue to do so.

I have read about the IID tool. Is the main reason to have one to be able to clear erroneous codes, codes that may cause the car not to run...but that really are not major issues. It seems having a weak battery causes a lot of issues. I own an OBDII reader, but apparently that won't suffice.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Also, the dude with the 12k replacement, probably had a minor failure and drove it into a major failure. By his own admission he tried to push on. It doesn't matter what brand you have if you don't take heed of the warnings on the dash.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:15 PM
Overlanding

Also, the dude with the 12k replacement, probably had a minor failure and drove it into a major failure. By his own admission he tried to push on. It doesn't matter what brand you have if you don't take heed of the warnings on the dash.
For sure. I have an LS430, supposedly "the most reliable sedan ever built", and someone slightly overheated on the highway, but drove on, and blew the engine. I know to pull over, especially for leaks/heat. Granted, I am getting the car with the expectation of that problem never happening, but if it does, I know that much.

How is it living in Augusta during The Masters? Do locals leave town, or do they love it?

Old 11-06-2017, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

It was a touch over 4k

The gap tool can touch every computer in the truck, in can change settings, program keys, read codes in every system and turn off annoying crap like the TPMS sensors.

It as far as I can tell will do just about anything the dealer can do.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 11-06-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ATXLR3
For sure. I have an LS430, supposedly "the most reliable sedan ever built", and someone slightly overheated on the highway, but drove on, and blew the engine. I know to pull over, especially for leaks/heat. Granted, I am getting the car with the expectation of that problem never happening, but if it does, I know that much.

How is it living in Augusta during The Masters? Do locals leave town, or do they love it?
No idea, I had duty that week near Boston, heard it's a real circus though. Unfortunately I will be here this year I'm sure, unless I can find a Rover event to go to. I know I was informed by a realtor that I could easily get $8k to rent my house out for the week.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:20 PM
Overlanding

No idea, I had duty that week near Boston, heard it's a real circus though. I know I was informed by a realtor that I could easily get $8k to rent my house out for the week.
Haha. Yea, here in Austin everyone leaves, and rent's their places out for the big festivals. Any advice on a specific IID tool? I saw the MV-2, or something like that, but any "budget" models?

Old 11-06-2017, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

There are cheaper ones out there but the less you spend the less they can do.

Just depends on what you are willing to go without for upfront savings. I programmed a key with my GAP tool. Check how much that little trick will cost at your local Rover shop and think about how much that will offset the cost of the tool.

https://www.lucky8llc.com/products/g...h-connectivity

Quick Reply: V6 LR3 Expert Opinions, Please