LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 LR3 Expert Opinions, Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V6 LR3 Expert Opinions, Please

Hey everyone!

Long time ih8mud member here, new to the LR3 world. I have owned 3 Cruisers, but got a bit bored with them, and plan on grabbing an 06' LR3 tomorrow (hence the post, right now). I read as much as I could find, on this forum, and on ExpoPortal. I know to look out for control arms, bushings, sunroof leaks, battery, air suspension, etc.

Plan is to get a 2006 LR3 SE, with HD package and the 4.0L V6. 100k miles. Records indicate the following:
air compressor (this month)
2 front air struts (this month)
brakes (recently)
tires (recently)
oil (recently)
tie-rod ends (2015)
battery (2015)
window regulator (2015)
alternator (2014)
timing belt (2014)
...owner described as "alternator timing belt", which I don't think is quite correct.

I drove the car, seemed to drive well. I am sure that it could use bushings, control arms, maybe wheel bearings, to get to perfect. Not concerned about that stuff. There was a slight whine, when accelerating at low speed (I think it is the idler pulley, from my research), wasn't loud enough to be the alternator. Sound went away when going over 20mph, and was relatively faint. In addition, there was a noticeable thud when accelerating quickly, immediately after applying the break, at low speed. I know my Land Cruisers did this, but not sure if it is as common on the LR3, or what exactly causes it. Everything else seemed solid. I know I should do the transmission flush, diff. flush, and maybe the control arms, things like that.

I was feeling confident in the purchase, but then logged into the forum, just now, and saw someone say they recently purchased a V6 LR3, and the engine blew in the middle of the woods, at a cost of $12k. I can handle minor issues, and normal wear items needing replacement, but would like to avoid MAJOR issues, such as that.

I thought it was worth posting, since I have not yet made the purchase. Any other V6 owners (with over 100k), who have more positive experiences? I read someone say to the V6 owner, that he made a mistake in buying the car, which seems to imply you should only get the Jag v8. Every other forum, and thread, that I have read had positive things to say about the V6, aside from the typical "there is no reason to get the V6, at this point."

I would get the V8, but this LR3 is in great shape, looks wonderful, was just at the dealership a few weeks ago for the suspension issues (cost $4,800, which I am sure was too much), and is a pretty good deal (I think). It has relatively low miles, for the year, too. The owner is very nice, honest, and is in no way pressuring me to get it. I only drive 5k miles/year, and just want a solid SUV for fun trips with the wife/daughter/dog.

I called all the LR shops around me, and they all had pretty solid things to say about the LR3, and said most repairs are typical, nothing too crazy...aside from the LR tech telling me the Rack and Pinion is $5,500. I just want to see if any other V6 LR3 owners, or those that know more than I, can chime in, and either make me feel better about my decision, or stop me from making a terrible decision. Thanks in advance!!!

Old 11-06-2017, 06:47 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I’m not a fan of the V6, only because it has 2 less cylinders.

I have 2 customers with V6s, one with 150k miles and the other with 315k miles.

the older had the timing chain/guides done around 150k.

ive heard of another V6 that needed the timing service as well.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:52 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by abran
I’m not a fan of the V6, only because it has 2 less cylinders.

I have 2 customers with V6s, one with 150k miles and the other with 315k miles.

the older had the timing chain/guides done around 150k.

ive heard of another V6 that needed the timing service as well.
Awesome, thanks! Yea, the shops said I would likely hear the chain acting sloppy, before it needing replacement. That is great to hear, two v6 at 150k, and 315k. I agree, I would prefer the v8, as well, but most LR3's I have found are 1) more than I want to spend 2) have more miles than I want 3) no records, and at a small time used car lot.

Any specific advice, pertaining to the V6? One shop said I don't have to worry about the Heater T, that is only the V8. Cruisers have the same Heater T issue. Is the radiator a common fail, or any overheating issues that I should look for?

Old 11-06-2017, 07:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

A V6'er with the HD Package....you sure about that?

Old 11-06-2017, 07:05 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by houm_wa
A V6'er with the HD Package....you sure about that?
Haha. I knew I may have been wrong on that one. I take it the V6 cannot have the HD package?

Old 11-06-2017, 08:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I wouldn't say that it "cannot" have it, but in order the most likely to have them are: V8 HSE, V8 SE, V6. It isn't a requirement to have the V8 or to have the HSE trim but in general the higher trim levels were more "loaded" with options, including the HD Package. They are pretty hard to find in any of the trim levels.

So it doesn't mean this V6'er isn't an HD version, I'd just want to double-check before I expected it to be there, even if the spec sheet says it is. Run the VIN through a Land Rover dealer.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:57 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I thought the same thing, best to crawl underneath and triple check.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:00 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I wouldn't say that it "cannot" have it, but in order the most likely to have them are: V8 HSE, V8 SE, V6. It isn't a requirement to have the V8 or to have the HSE trim but in general the higher trim levels were more "loaded" with options, including the HD Package. They are pretty hard to find in any of the trim levels.

So it doesn't mean this V6'er isn't an HD version, I'd just want to double-check before I expected it to be there, even if the spec sheet says it is. Run the VIN through a Land Rover dealer.
I do not think it has it. Just ran it through the VIN Decorder, and it said "rear open diff", or something along those lines. I had mis-read it, originally, as "rear locking diff". From all of your experiences, how frequent do these famous LR electrical issues come up? I have read too many threads starting out with "every warning light is on" for one day, but like anything, forums are mostly for complains, rather than "my LR3 has been great for the past 12 months". I have found many of those, but still.

It seems the V6 is solid enough. I will make a point of getting all of the fluids done, and check out the idler pulley (very slight whine at low speed, during acceleration), but would you say that I should just drive it, relatively worry free, after that? Is there anything that you can think of that I should look into, or replace, quickly that could cause catastrophic issues? (i.e. anything specific that often causes overheating)

Old 11-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I like LR3's so much I bought 2 of them this year.

Both are V8's though

Old 11-06-2017, 09:19 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I like LR3's so much I bought 2 of them this year.

Both are V8's though
Haha. Maybe a bit excessive (joke)? Is it THAT common for LR3's to not start, or leave their owner stranded, needing a tow? I imagine it isn't, but I have read too many negative threads. One of the reasons I started looking at the LR3, aside from the fact that I love the look, and most owners seemed to love them, is that I still see so many around town. There are endless numbers of LR3's everywhere, and I imagine almost every one has 100k+ miles, and they all seem great, look great, and the drivers seem happy. My logic was that if the car was that unreliable, or was that expensive to maintain, or had so many random, annoying issues...these people would be getting rid of them.

I have been Land Cruiser obsessed for the better part of 5 years, and while I do still love them, I find their prices are getting a bit out of hand. A 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser with 100k miles will be 25k+ easily, whereas a 2006 LR3 HSE with 100k miles will be less than half that. While Land Cruisers are famous for their reliability, they are still expensive to maintain (when work is needed), and they do actually have expensive repairs (master cylinder can run $5,500+, etc). Point being, even the most reliable SUV on the planet (supposedly), is not free to drive. It seems to me that the LR3's have been punished, excessively (value wise), for their apparent unreliability.

That is a good thing for those that want to get one now, of course. From your opinions, is it worth spending $4k more for a V8, or would I be better off using that money for preventative work, or for future repairs?

Quick Reply: V6 LR3 Expert Opinions, Please