LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle Communications Modules

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vehicle Communications Modules

Hi all!

Has anyone tried to use the Rotunda jlr v128 or any other vechicle coms module to do their own programming like looking a sensors, performing diag., or clearing airbag and other trouble codes or reseting the service meter? I am ready to go to the next level with my truck but don't want to toss some money down the toilet without some forsight.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are able to do all this with this system its pretty much and old version of the dealer tool. i have heard some negative things about them though such as corrupting modules and bringing down a whole system but like i said its just what ive heard. try looking into the mongoose its actually the next best thing and you get all the info straight from land rover itself you have to subscribe to them for a year wich is about 1300 last time i checked and the cable itself is about 600 but this is the tool the dealer is using SDD not IDS IDS was FORD. SDD is a little bit more trouble to work with for some but kinda easy in a wierd way.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:53 AM
Drifting

socal, that is good to know that I can do all the things that I want to do with this device. I think I will buy from Drew Technologies, Drew Technologies : Introduction, because they are based in the United States and if there is a problem I can send it back. It cost about 2 times as much but piece of mind would be worth it. I did not now that this was SDD and looked at the Ford VCM as well; does the Ford one do the same?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:40 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hawkeye is only 600 and you can reset alot of stuff and look at the same pids.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It is not clear if there is a software package or subscription requirement on the Drew website. Can someone who knows clarify what the requirements are.

The Hawkeye appears limited to North American models based on their web site.

Has anyone played with all of these? How does each compare to the BBS models out there. Keeping in mind BBS is quite expensive even for a single vehicle license, and unlimited is way more. Support is delivered only online in Cyprus and so on. I would be more interested in a functional comparison.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 AM
Drifting

I might be the one to try the Mongoose system they have. I am really interested in getting something other than my regular OBD2 tool. I recently went to the dealer and, and keep in mind, do all my own service, but was there for a recall and they would not even reset my service indicator for me. That thing has not been reset for over 80,000 miles! Well, I do a lot of driving!

Old 04-14-2012, 12:03 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

why should they spend a half an hour on their computer resetting your light when you don't show up for services. its the reprogram and thats it. if you want to reset it quick and get some information out of it the hawkeye is the way to go. its cheap and easy. plus it does all the world's vehicle including NA.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:49 AM
Drifting

Hawkeye and the Mongoose are the same price from what I found. I am sure the hawkeye is a great tool, if all you want to do is avoid the dealer and look at a little monochrome screen all day. I prefer to have my laptop and have the same kind of interface as the VAG COM system I use for my wife's car. There is nothing like looking at sensor data with complete descriptions and updates on a computer screen when dealing with cars.

I would show up for service at teh dealer if their prices were reasonable. the price for the local dealer to replace the brake pads, rotors, clean the parking break, bleed the brakes, and install new wear sensors for my truck was about $1700 and would take me dropping it off for a day after fighting for a scheduled spot. The price for me to do it at home with a 6 pack is $500 and I know it is done correctly and all in an afternoon with satisfaction of success. I looked at the Hawkeye, but don't like the limitations.