LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vent tube sizes

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 09:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts
Default Vent tube sizes

I have been poking around web trying to get an answer, but I am not finding anything. Does anyone know the tube size, and locations, for the various vent tubes. Two fold project with this. I want to make sure they are hooked up and I will be doing water crossings this weekend. Eventually I want to extend them. Couplers, fittings and hoses are inexpensive. Certainly not worth the $100 plus I saw for kits that extend the hoses.

Front diff (easy to find end behind grill, can measure size if no one knows)
Rear diff
Transmission
Transfer case
Any others?

And is the starter vented? I saw an LR kit for the starter, but I think it was for a different model (part LR021681).

Old 05-23-2018, 10:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

transmission and transfer box breathers are located under the windshield cowl at roughly bottom of windshield height. If you get water in those you've got worse problems.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Update. I did install breather extensions to all but the rear diff (its pretty well protected in the far back, I still plan to do it. Transmission, transfer case and front diff. I used 6mm OD/ 4mm ID pneumatic hose. It can handle high temps just fine and if you are carful to super-heat it with a heat gun you can fashion bends into it that will stay. 6mm push-connect couplers worked fine on the stock hoses. The trans and transfer case hoses have a 90 bend on top. I left it in place. The front diff, I simply cut off the end to fit a coupler.

I had issues with my starter in very cold temperatures. Unlink other Rover, the Sport, the LR3 has no breathers. Its vented thought. I used 8mm OD/ 5mm ID hose with some slight adhesive into the breather rubber ends. It works and will protect the starter for deep water crossings but those thing rubber venison the starter may not hold as well. Because I want a good spare starter to have on hand for long trips I plan to get another rebuilt unit and drill/thread the starter ports for pneumatic fittings that will hold the lines better.

hose used:
Amazon Amazon

Pics of install:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...ll-idea-91702/