LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VVT oil control solenoid leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default VVT oil control solenoid leak

I believe , I have a VVT oil control solenoid light seepage or at least I think , that is the name of the part shown on picture I took today on my V8.This is on front driver's side of the engine, a few inches ahead of the ignition coils black plastic cover. Is this part easy to replace or am I looking at something expensive labor wise and money wise .I know there is a harness plugged in to it , but I don't see any attachments for wrench or a special tool maybe to remove it from housing.There is a rubber gasket encircling this sensor .What I am looking at ?

Last edited by thorgal; 03-12-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I have had valve covers off the 06, it is a couple hour job each side , and yes I think that's the vvt seal, seal is in the valve cover no removing the vvt

Last edited by TOM R; 11-30-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Rock Crawling

I called local dealer and they told me there are two rubber seals .I don't really know which one to get as Ican't tell which one is leaking, until I open the whole thing, I guess...
Do you know what is involved with taking down this cover ?
Do I have to drain oil to do that or do I need a special sealant or gasket to put the cover back ?
Any things, that I have to watch out for or buy, before the job ?

Old 12-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

iirc, remove the intake boot and air box lid, basically whatever is in the way along with the big plastic cover

pull plastic covers on valve covers they snap off, remove coils and pull spark plugs, need special long plug socket, on drivers side remove the heat shield between engine and plastic box that hides the master cylinder

be careful with the plus and wiring on the coils they seem stiff and brittle

I believe the last plug drivers side has just enough room with the heat shield off

if you lose a spark plug wire boot cap it can be retrieved by needle nose plier

as far as removing the valve cover bolts the bottoms are a pita to get to think I got to some through the wheel well? need a 1/4" drive set extensions and universal maybe a second set of eyes

I am sure I am forgetting hoses or something but it is straight forward, I believe the valve cover gaskets are reusable BUT IF YOU are in there might want to do them and spark plugs

make sure engine sat overnight or a long time and is bone cold before pulling plugs, aluminum heads and all

Old 12-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's a decent size repair for a small seep. That said, might want to change out the PCV valve, this leak usually goes hand in hand with the PCV valve starting to fail.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:06 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
iirc, remove the intake boot and air box lid, basically whatever is in the way along with the big plastic cover

pull plastic covers on valve covers they snap off, remove coils and pull spark plugs, need special long plug socket, on drivers side remove the heat shield between engine and plastic box that hides the master cylinder

be careful with the plus and wiring on the coils they seem stiff and brittle

I believe the last plug drivers side has just enough room with the heat shield off

if you lose a spark plug wire boot cap it can be retrieved by needle nose plier

as far as removing the valve cover bolts the bottoms are a pita to get to think I got to some through the wheel well? need a 1/4" drive set extensions and universal maybe a second set of eyes

I am sure I am forgetting hoses or something but it is straight forward, I believe the valve cover gaskets are reusable BUT IF YOU are in there might want to do them and spark plugs

make sure engine sat overnight or a long time and is bone cold before pulling plugs, aluminum heads and all
Hello ✋🏻, so if I want to change the VCT I must take all of that ! Sparkle plug and air box ! I understand that I can just pull that VCT valve and put the new one ! Please correct me , my English is weak . If you have video or photo it will be great . I have leak in PCV and also in this VCT valve . Can I change the easly? Thanks

Old 01-11-2017, 09:04 PM
Rock Crawling

In short NO.You don't have to remove ALL that which is Valve covers to get to a VVT O ring . Just pry it out very gently and slowly with small flat screwdriver of the cover ,around VVT solenoid . Take your time , it should not take longer than a minute to do that .It is actually very easy to do,but try not to score the plastic cover nor the solenoid itself.rubber O ring that dry rots over time, leaks oil outside the sensor, like it did on mine on both sides of the engine.Urban legend says that one needs to remove ignition coils valve covers to get to rubber seals, but this is just simply not true. Pry it out and gently slide new ones over the VVT solenoid. Job done.Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
spawnywhippet (12-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 05:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Check this out https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...-engine-73818/ for part No and details on changing it.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:45 PM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thorgal
Urban legend says that one needs to remove ignition coils valve covers to get to rubber seals, but this is just simply not true. Pry it out and gently slide new ones over the VVT solenoid. Job done.Good luck.
Wish I had read this before I did the job. I would agree with you. I had to remove the valve cover on one side as that was also seeping, but the other side was bone dry, just the VVT solenoid leaking. It would have saved me 2-3 hours.

Old 12-31-2022, 06:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphamale
Check this out https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...-engine-73818/ for part No and details on changing it.
But in the link they are describing removal and install of VCT Seals not VVT Solenoid Seals..are they the same : (

Quick Reply: VVT oil control solenoid leak