LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washed engine compartment on LR3 now problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up "SOLVED" Washed engine compartment on LR3 now electrical problems

I couldn't find anything from a search so I will pose the problem here.

2006 LR3 58,000 mi.
I washed the engine compartment today with water from a low pressure hose. After i dried as much as I could with a towel, I started up the LR3 which fired right up. Nothing unusual happened.

I pulled out of the driveway and drove away. All of a sudden the DIC alerts me that there is a system fault, Special Terrain functions not available, Transmission Range fault. I tried the Terrain Response dial and that didn't do anything. I tried to put the vehicle in 4WD Lo and nothing happened. I stopped the car and turned off the key. As soon as I remove the key, all of a sudden the hazard lights start flashing, The door lock solonoids start clicking and the Air conditioner turns on. Also, the Nav screen starts going on and off.

I closed the door and tried to lock and unlock with the remote. The car locks but the hazards keep flashing at random intervals.

I try to unlock the doors with the remote but now the remote is not working. All of a sudden the alarm goes off.

I have to remove the door lock cover and manually unlock the door and put the key in the ignition. Only then does the alarm stop.

Now the Park Brake fault warning comes on.

I removed the engine battery and relay box and started unplugging wet electrical connections and drying them off. I opened up and blew out every plug and connector I could see in the area of the firewall and the relay box/ Battery.

After hooking it all back up, I started the car which fired right up. The warnings and flashing lights and clicking door solenoids are still happening.

I had to disconnect the battery when I got home so this would all stop.

Something got wet. I am sure of that. Are there any specific modules or areas I should check when I go back to troubleshooting in the morning?

Last edited by Xrover; 11-12-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Added Info
The following 4 users liked this post by Xrover:
a_wick_2010 (12-15-2015), patrickrayome (08-01-2021), Porksquid (10-05-2016), RRSPORT (11-30-2021)
Old 01-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Mudding

Wow, Nobody has experience with this?

Old 01-09-2011, 01:12 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights, alarms, etc.

My LR3 battery went dead, got a jump and then everything started flashing, wipers, alarms, etc.. If I wasn't so mad, it was laughable at the different items that went wrong. I expected the hood (bonnet) to begin bouncing up and down. It would stop for a few minutes, then the problems would started up again. Had to get the battery replaced and a computer re-set from Land Rover.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Mudding

Ok, I found the problem. I was on the right track yesterday when looking behind the battery area but I missed it.

I removed the battery and lifted out the Relay box (again) This time I followed each wire harness located in the area between the firewall and where the battery goes. I noticed a Black plastic box up against the firewall. There were Two wire looms going into it from the top of it. Each loom went through a rubber seal. I unsnapped the sides of the box and the front cover opened up.

There was a aluminum cased computer module inside. There were 3 plugs on top of it. All 3 were wet. I unplugged the 3 connectors and saw some corrosion on the terminals and water stains. The computer connector pins also had corrosion and were wet.

I removed the computer module which is called "Integrated Transfer Case" It is not a sealed unit. I bent back the aluminum case tabs to remove the cover and inspect the internals for water damage. The inside was clean and looked perfect. I sprayed a silcone based lube/cleaner into all the terminals on the wire loom side as well as the computer end. I used an electric toothbrush to clean all terminals. I then sprayed them with Electrical Contact Cleaner, then cleaned them again. All the corrosion came off and all the contacts were looking clean. I finished them off with a spray of the contact cleaner and let them air dry over night.

I reinstalled everything this morning and made sure the computer box was sealed up really good. I started up the LR3. The only warning I got now was "Transmission Range Fault" The Terrain Response dial still did not do anything nor could I switch into 4WD Lo. Hoping now the vehicle would just require a few drives to clear itself. After a couple of short drives the warning went away and the whole system worked perfectly.

When washing the engine compartment, water can get back behind the battery box cover and fall directly onto this computer box and electrical plugs. Be aware of this !!

Attached Thumbnails Washed engine compartment on LR3 now problems-pass-side-engine-bay-2.jpg   Washed engine compartment on LR3 now problems-transfer-case-computer-plugs-2.jpg   Washed engine compartment on LR3 now problems-transfer-case-computer-terminals-2.jpg   Washed engine compartment on LR3 now problems-transfer-case-computer-2.jpg  
The following 6 users liked this post by Xrover:
ArmyRover (08-07-2017), illbuildit (02-19-2016), LRD2rangel (10-15-2018), patrickrayome (08-01-2021), Porksquid (10-05-2016), unseenone (12-04-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Mudding

Theses cars also get wet on the inside on the central junction box, passanger side of dash and can cause all kind of strange problems.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Mudding

Yeah, I heard something about that. Something to do with the sunroof drain tube if I remember correctly.

Funny, I used to be a service tech on Sunseeker yachts. They are a British yacht manufacturer. Water leak's on engine room electrical panels was a big problem. I guess it never gets wet in England ! lol

Old 01-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Mudding

There is also the issue of water getting behind the windshield cowling and dropping through the vent that you can't see without removing it. I had my 4th winshield put on a couple of months ago and saw the large vent opening for the ventilation system, which has been discussed in prior threads. I fabricated a shield and installed it with windshield adhesive, so that the water gets deflected away from the vent. Rather poor design by LR on that one, as that is also a major source of water soaking the passenger side carpet.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:10 PM
6th Gear
Default water infiltration causes & repairs??

NEVER wash the engine compartment of the LR3 or i would say any other 2003 newer Rover. My mechanic did this once and cause the Transfer Case control module to fail. About $300 they had to dump into it. I know now due to his mistake to never wash down the engine compartment. This control module is under and behind the battery well and is very hard to get to. I have also heard similar issues with water infiltration via sundroof tubes and at the front windshield cowling. It is very disappointing that Rover cant keep these "go anywhere" vehicles dry where they need to be kept dry. UNREAL!! i have issues with water infiltration near front firewall JBOX i assume. Some weird electrical things are happening from time to time. Alarm will go off within 20 mins of locking it up. Backup lights may burn all the time. Weird crap...any ideas peeps?? Was told the main jbox under passenger dash might be suspect. How the heck do i get into that area? Anyone have any pics or diagrams?? Thanks all!

ALSO! I drove through some high water no deeper than 12" recently for a very short distance. Come to find four days later, BOTH front floor board were soaked. WTF?!!!!! how did water get inside my car when the water level was way below the rocker panels. Splash from front tire wells?? Can this be fixed or sealed up??? UNREAL AGAIN. thx

Last edited by KILMAL; 07-01-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:08 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually washing it does nothing. look at the corrosion and you realize that kind of corrosion takes weeks to happen. its a bad seal inside the connector and once its popped and starts to get water in you are screwed.

you need a new module. sorry but cleaning it does nothing. trust me, we tried and failed to clean the entire modules and connectors and got nowhere. you need to buy a new module and have it programmed.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
Actually washing it does nothing. look at the corrosion and you realize that kind of corrosion takes weeks to happen. its a bad seal inside the connector and once its popped and starts to get water in you are screwed.

you need a new module. sorry but cleaning it does nothing. trust me, we tried and failed to clean the entire modules and connectors and got nowhere. you need to buy a new module and have it programmed.
For some reason I never got a message about your post. I just now read it.

Strange thing about that connector is it is not a sealed type connector. I agree that the water intrusion began way before this day. The module was housed in a plastic box mounted to the firewall. I think the box is supposed to keep the water out. If I remember correctly, The cover on box itself might not have been completely closed.

When I cleaned up the module I actually opened it up (It is just an aluminum box with folded over tabs on the lid part) to inspect the PCB for any signs of damage. It was perfectly dry inside and no sign of corrosion, shorting or moisture. The terminals on both the plug and module cleaned up perfectly. I use a product called Corrosion X
on it and then cleaned them with an electric toothbrush. I finished with Electrical Contact Cleaner. So far I have not had any more issues with it.

The following users liked this post:
unseenone (12-04-2015)

Quick Reply: Washed engine compartment on LR3 now problems