LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump and thermostat housing

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 06:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Water pump and thermostat housing

Well the time has come, 12 year old range rover sport with 35k needs a water pump and a thermostat housing. Both are leaking s bit and the water pump is starting to make a little rumble. I could do it myself but I really don’t want to and I don’t have the time. What should I expect the cost to be. I will probably have the serpentine belt changed at the same time. Anything else that I shoul have done. Thanks. Phil

2005 LR3 HSE 128k
2006 Range Rover Sport HSE 35k

Old 05-14-2018, 09:42 AM
Winching
Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

I don't know what a shop will charge for labor, but I have done the water pump, thermostat housing, belts, pulleys and idle tensioners thottle body cleaning, MAP sensor cleaning, replacing PCV and air filter and as I recall it was about $250 in parts.

Well maybe more when you count the cost of the coolant, but I already had that in the garage.

Jeff

Old 05-14-2018, 12:14 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Book time for water pump is 1.6 hours, book time for water crossover is 1.6 hours.

There is approx .5 hours of cross over labor. So, you should expect 2.5-3.5 hours of labor.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

THank you. Abran, I wish that you were a bit closer! Phil

Old 05-16-2018, 12:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

My brother-in-law shamed me into replacing the water pump and thermostat housing myself. So much for my Memorial Day Weekend! I ordered the 36mm fan wrench and pulley holder from AST Tool, $60 for the pair. I am getting ready to order the parts.

The Thermostat Housing runs $105. Belts around $40 for the pair from Atlantic British (after reading a post made earlier today, I need to make sure that they are not Allmakes brand). The tensioners and pulleys seem fine, they only have 36k miles on them.

The prices for water pumps are all over the place. OEM from Merriam is $250 with an $80 core charge. Ebay has them from $25 on up. I see Allmakes, Gates, Airtex, GMB, Cardone Select, Bearmach and Beck/Arnley. Atlantic British states that theirs is the same manufacutuar as OEM.

I don't want to do this again for 50,000 miles. What brand do you recommend?

Thanks in advance. Phil

Old 05-16-2018, 02:37 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Ac Delco water pump has the best gasket I have seen, been installing those with no issue.

Rock auto has them

Old 05-16-2018, 03:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thank you. Phil

Old 05-18-2018, 12:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle

When it rains it pours. I ordered a water pump for the Range Rover sport. I jumped in my wife’s lr3 and the sweet smell of coolant was present. A quick check of the water pump and I’ll be darned if it isn’t leaking. I am adding another water pump to my order. Phil

Old 05-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Just a quick update, I ordered all of the parts needed off of amazon. Free shipping is a beautiful thing. Sadly I did have to pay sales tax, thank you governor brown. I was amazed at the savings over the traditional retailers. I ordered up a new coolant reservoir for the lr3 as the level indicator has been faulty for some time now. The parts arrive next week. Memorial Day weekend here I come!

A quick note, I got a gap tool IID over a year ago. I used it once to adjust the leaning body on my Range Rover sport. About ten miles later while cruising at 75 mph, the suspension dropped to flat. Had bouncy spring but no shocks.it was pretty wild. I got that sorted but was gun shy to use the gap tool again. That and the generic warnings by gap diagnostics that there might be a chance that the truck would never run again if I did an update. I finally pulled it out and adjusted the suspension again. I also updated most of the systems and cleared some codes. I added the clock on dash, what a great addition! I also added the tilt mirrors in reverse, (I hate that, changing the mirrors to fixed today). I drove the truck all week. Put 250 miles on it yesterday running up to riverside and back. Truck worked like a champ. I am ordering up the transmission update to hopefully clear the “California stop” jerking issue. Thanks for all of the help on this forum. It is greatly appreciated. Phil

Old 05-19-2018, 03:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
Ac Delco water pump has the best gasket I have seen, been installing those with no issue.

Rock auto has them
Does our water pump gasket needs some kind of sealant or it is dry fit item ? Thanks

Quick Reply: Water pump and thermostat housing