LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your LR3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Ahh the expedition 5.4 last 2 plugs on the passenger side the fond memories..

Excursion V10 is way better lol

The following users liked this post:
Rover Rene (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 03:13 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 LR3 Transmission problems

New owner of a 2006 LR3 with 68,000 miles on it and new to this forum. I bought this from a dealer out of state and had it shipped so i didnt have the option of driving and the dealer never mentioned this of course. With this being said the car is great but when i come to a stop light the transmission slips, not all the time, occasionally. This car wasnt driven much with the low miles so im guessing it sat often. Is there a adjustment that needs to take place..?? Should i take it to the dealership or is this something i can do myself..?? Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks Brandon

Old 08-17-2019, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Slip or harsh engagement?

Took the LR3 on a 325 Mile road trip to Atlanta and all over than back. Stopped at Duluth Trading and Cabela's.

Found this Defender cross member while I was out and about so I brought it home.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Not the Dealer

Originally Posted by Brandon75
New owner of a 2006 LR3 with 68,000 miles on it and new to this forum. I bought this from a dealer out of state and had it shipped so i didnt have the option of driving and the dealer never mentioned this of course. With this being said the car is great but when i come to a stop light the transmission slips, not all the time, occasionally. This car wasnt driven much with the low miles so im guessing it sat often. Is there a adjustment that needs to take place..?? Should i take it to the dealership or is this something i can do myself..?? Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks Brandon
What you do not do when you have what is perhaps a transmission concern is go to a Land Rover dealer. It will be the rare dealer service department that knows anything about the ZF automatic transmissions. At best they will send your 3 out to an independent transmission shop, more realistically try to sell you a new LR, or worse yet, tell you that you have to buy a new tranny for them to install.

If you cannot get the dealer to tell you what independent shop they use, then you will have to find it yourself.

What it will not be is one of those chain franchise shops in a nice suburban location that they advertise on TV.

The shop will be a dirty grimy dark place on the East side of town. Its storage yard will be littered with old dead Mercedes, Audi and BMW's. That will be the place.

Alternatively, go to your local Ford dealer service department and ask them where they send their Fords with tranny problems. The ZF's we have in our 3's are pretty much identical to the Ford license built 6R60 units in their six speed older pickups, circa 2006/9. See the Ford 6R60 file per the link below.

As a matter of routine every 70,000 miles or so, I get the filter combo plastic pan and transmission oil changed. Up here, that is about a thousand dollar bill, but in the States, cheaper. That will probably resolve the problems which I expect are perhaps lack of use, or more likely, grocery getter service, both tougher a tougher lifestyle than on the Interstate.

You should find the files within the link below of some use. I note a few of the files have a couple of thousand views, and others a thousand or so. This suggests there are some that think the material has value.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thu...php?album=5059

Old 08-17-2019, 11:26 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After spacers were installed.
Installed terafirma spacers but when I reached the fourth wheel I found that I was missing the last 5 nuts that tighten the spacer down. Very disappointed. Had to run to the auto part store to buy me some.

My baby before the spacers.

Before the spacer goes on.

Last edited by Rover Rene; 08-19-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

PIC OVERLOAD:

So maybe not just today, but this is far enough along that I feel I can share a little. This is a prototype setup I built for overlanding. It is designed for myself and my dog in mind. Its not 100% finished and I have no clue how to do woodwork but managed. Basically all that is needed is to finish carpet work and get the wiring done. There is also a shower system that will go in place, waiting on parts. I also designed this to be modular. Its anchored to numerous factory points for seats/cargo. I can quickly pull these out and put the seats back in. 100% non-destructive install.

I will make a separate thread that goes into all the details once its done.

The following 5 users liked this post by DakotaTravler:
ArmyRover (08-27-2019), bbyer (08-30-2019), morrisdl (08-19-2019), purseon (12-26-2019), Rover Rene (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Great work, looks like one awesome set up

Old 08-22-2019, 11:44 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After 10 years and 125K miles, I got a new commute car and am now taking my LR3 on some serious off-road trails here in Colorado. Can't believe it took me this long!

Old 08-27-2019, 06:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

bit the bullet and swapped over to springs with the standard height AB kit. I know others have said its lower than stock, but mine is same height. They must've improved it

long story short, had 2 dead bags and decided to just go to coils instead.

I dont do any serious off-roading in it, only going down rutted trails in New Hampshire and Maine getting to trail heads (and driving through winter). So the loss of extended mode and articulation wasn't a concern for me.

So far the ride has been great. Bumps are still silky smooth, still has the floaty plush ride on the highway, if I were blindfolded I wouldnt know it didnt have air bags. Its probably from going from worn out air bags to fresh springs, but there's less body roll in corners, and there's much less nose dive under harder than normal braking.

All in all, well worth the conversion for my case and nice to have that peace of mind of not worrying about the air suspension gremlins

Old 08-27-2019, 07:10 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Replaced PCV valve and MAF... still having hiccups (misfiring when cold) but when it heats up seems like running normal no misfires.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LR3 today?