LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your LR3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 09:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Replaced the front diff, CVs, and the driver side wheel bearing I hadnt done yet. When I removed the front driveshaft I noticed the joints were pretty stiff so decided to replace that as well. Cannot recommend doing the front diff alone. Took two jacks and a custom platform to get it up and a lot of of going from under the car to looking at the side mounts. All in all took a little over a week between dealing with rusty bolts and waiting for replacement parts. So smooth now!

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7799.MOV (11.03 MB, 13 views)
Old 07-13-2021, 05:54 AM
Winching
Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Good Job!

I had pretty much the same experience 2 years ago when I did the front diff on my 2006. I gathered all of the parts before starting and got lucky not needing any other parts. What I did need was a new socket set for the "reverse torx" head bolts on the drive shaft. Also, there was NO WAY I got that extra 90 degrees of rotation on the drive shaft bolts after torquing to spec.

Glad you got it done. It is a good feeling knowing that you solved a very large problem with a very large project.

Jeff

Old 07-13-2021, 07:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks and yeah feels good to be done and driving it again. The D2 is great but not as nice a daily driver. Luckily I had those reverse torx sockets from doing the rear driveshaft, they were a surprise when I started that project though. I figured I had all the tools but the Rovers keep proving me wrong

Old 07-19-2021, 03:36 PM
Mudding
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Replaced Locking-diff ARB air compressor after only 5 years.
Discovered the ARB air hose quick-disconnect has leaked since day one and probably prematurely killed the compressor.
Replaced that too (of course). Time to get the virgin parts dirty.

Old 07-19-2021, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Took mine on a 1,000 mile road trip to wheel at Rover's at Wintergreen in the mountains of VA

The following 2 users liked this post by ArmyRover:
DakotaTravler (07-20-2021), morrisdl (07-20-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 05:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I see an old Defender and a new Defender in that photo. Which one performed better?

Old 07-20-2021, 05:43 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cmb6s
Well, the weather has finally been warm and I'm getting out of my winter slump, so I've been busy on the LR3, fixing my wife's Accord, and fixing my old A4. Every car seems to have something wrong with it.

BUT, the end result of the work on the LR3 is that a couple weeks ago I got the following installed:
- Front Runner Hidden Winch Mount w/Superwinch Talon 12.5, Battery Cutoff Switch, Amsteel Blue Synthetic Rope, D44 Hawse Fairlead, and Factor 55 Flatlink Shackle (Yes, VA requires a front license plate, so I got a license plate bracket that clips into the fairlead... The Factor 55 Flatlink sits nicely between the backside of the license plate and the fairlead)

This past weekend I got around to:
- Front Runner Full Length Slimline II Roof Rack
- Front Runner Rear Ladder

As you can see, the plastic sump "guard" is missing because I also have a Front Runner Aluminum Sump Guard to fit on, but am not quite sure where the mounting hardware is supposed to go (many different types of bolts and spacers, but no instructions provided).

I hope to get some sliders on once my wallet recovers and once I figure out which ones I want. However, here is how she sits today:

would lov for you to share the exact winch setup, i would like to install one , thank you

Old 07-20-2021, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I see an old Defender and a new Defender in that photo. Which one performed better?
They both did fantastic on the trails. Stoxk vs stock I would bet the new defender would out perform the classic

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (07-20-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 02:12 AM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I would bet the new defender would out perform the classic
At least until something breaks. The new Defender sure seems quite flaky with reliability. Hell, their tail light recall is just laughably sad, as flashing a bright light at a specific section of it causes
. Worst part is that you don't even get an error code that something is wrong. How can you screw up that badly? My LR3 has freaking incandescent bulbs and they still worked even after the tail light got a small crack in it an was half full of water. The bulbs were working underwater! I had no idea until I found a cheap replacement locally and tried to replace it.

Old 07-23-2021, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

It's a Land Rover they are always broken with a varying level of functionality.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LR3 today?