LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your LR3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2024 | 07:13 AM
Overlanding

living in iowa as a tech that works on cars every day and then road tripping to northern Wisconsin and the UP i shudder to think what its like to work on cars up there... we have rust down here but you guys have it on another level! i was able to score my 08 LR3 last year from southern alabama. its soo amazing to see an old car with 0 rust! i mean i could still see the lazer etched part numbers on the converters! and the welds on the frame didnt even have rust! its as if the car is brand new even tho it has 166,000 on it.

The following users liked this post:
james.martin1 (09-15-2024)
Old 09-14-2024 | 01:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Front windscreen replacement

Had a stone chip that migrated to full blown lengthy crack. Windscreen replacement shop replaced the windscreen (heated) but cheaper out on the A pillar moldings and tried to just glue it down rather then use new clips as required. I almost lost the trim pieces in the wind on the highway. Be sure the shop uses new clips and knows how to put them on.
Info: Clip hardware part number: DHB500400

Last edited by Amadreas; 09-14-2024 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2024 | 07:12 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Amadreas
Had a stone chip that migrated to full blown lengthy crack. Windscreen replacement shop replaced the windscreen (heated) but cheaper out on the A pillar moldings and tried to just glue it down rather then use new clips as required. I almost lost the trim pieces in the wind on the highway. Be sure the shop uses new clips and knows how to put them on.
Info: Clip hardware part number: DHB500400
Last year my wifes windshield needed replacing after the tree fell on it during a tornado, I took the trim and cowl off myself before I took it to the body shop for repairs on the roof and hood, so I had time to buy new clips and reinstalled them trim myself once the other work was done.

Good advice about checking if you let them reinstall them. Also, thanks for a quick reference to the part number.

Jeff

Old 09-22-2024 | 06:33 PM
Mudding

I think I'm going to name the rescue rover "Ginsu" becuase there's always more.
Got the brakes all taken care of, the shifter reassembled after the previous owner took it all apart when it wouldn't go into Drive and the EAS was working fine, then decided it didn't feel like it after all. The reservoir wasn't venting, so had a look at the valve block by the compressor, pulled the hose and then the reservoir vented! Tried cleaning it out and no joy so another one ordered. Feeling good about getting it out on the road before the snow flies at least.

Old 09-26-2024 | 12:03 PM
Mudding

After watching this video I feel better about getting it back on the road.

Interior stripped mostly, and I',ve been cleaning the seats and carpet with a cobination of laundry detergent and oxi-clean, and the results are pretty darn amazing. I've been using a Bissel carpet cleaner and the rinse water coming up out the carpet looks like coffee. The seats got some magic eraser and heavy duty detergent time, I may have stripped the sealing layer off the leather but it was really really dirty in there. If it gets dirty again too soon I'll keep washing it.

Old 09-26-2024 | 12:26 PM
Mudding

I'm getting by with a little help from my hens...

Took some vaccuum time

Perfectly good LR3 treated like a school bus and a farm truck and never cleaned

Maybe I should have worn a biohazard suit?

The following users liked this post:
DakotaTravler (09-27-2024)
Old 09-26-2024 | 04:03 PM
Camel Trophy

Good Lord!!!

Old 09-27-2024 | 06:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Got my the amps mount installed. None of the phone holders that attach to the glass work and it keeps it out of the heat.

Old 09-28-2024 | 12:38 PM
Mudding

And circling back to the compressor again.
Replacing that center valve block did let me deflate the corners but not the reservoir so I figured it was time to pull the compressor and have a look. Well, 2 or the 3 mounting bolts are not coming off for love or money so I got the crowbar out, pried the damn thing out and btoke the mount, no cares given to be honest. I can deal with that later.
Does your wife'GF'SO ever complain about you never throwing out old vehicle parts? Yeah, mine too. I had a Hitachi compressor from a side job Rangey that had a slow lift warning and that compressor couldn't manage more than 50-60 psi so I swapped it out, and kept the old one. Having finally extracted the old one from my LR3 I starting looking at the valves and such, and found that the present made in Cnina compressor will accept parts from a donor Hitachi. I found the large valve under the black cover on the LR3 had a mashed O-ring on the small "stem", which I'm believing is the final problem in the EAS chain, and that part from the Hitachi one fits perfectly. So does the solenoid which on the LR3 unit was crusty and rusty. After a search I'm going to swap that exhaust valve and that should hiopefully fix the compressor-the cheap Chinese knockoff unit does pump up nice and quick. Also going to have a look at the dessicant canister. Now I am glad I lept that old one, along with the other Rover swag I kept, maybe in my mind I knew the Bronco was a passing fancy and I would be back.
One final thought-have you ever changed the compressor on a RR? So easy, right there in the spare tire well, no dirt or mud or crap, that one I pulled out of the Rangey is clean and lovely. Has anyone relocated their compressor inside the cabin?

Old 09-29-2024 | 08:59 AM
4wd Low
Default Homemade dull Trim revival

[QUOTE=cmb6s;421776]I'll try to post some later, but I don't know how much good it will do since I have no "before pictures" IMHO, I think it darkened the trim a bit more than I expected (a good thing!), but probably not as much as Back to Black or a product like that. However, it seems that the C4 creates almost what I would call a hard shell on your plastic trim. It doesn't change the appearance, but you can feel a slight difference. Also, water just beads right off now, like it was recently waxed.

I recently had to replace all of the front control arms and tie rod ends on my '03 Audi A4. It was a fairly intensive process and getting the passenger side upper control arms out of the knuckle was a real PITA. Because of this, I thought it would be fairly simple to replace the shock boot on my LR3 today, but I had a really really hard time getting the shock compressed in order to get the lower bolt back in. Ugh.I will say this about the LR3 vs. the Audi... It seems that the LR3 is a bit simpler and a bit easier to work on because there's so much more space. HOWEVER, the big downside is that every LR3 part is twice as big and twice as heavy as my Audi parts. It wears me out in no time. [/QUOTE

50% boiled linseed oil, 50% mineral spirits. Does a great job and last about three months.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LR3 today?